1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rough idle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JohnnyU, Dec 11, 2002.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I was stopped at a light today when my truck started shaking and the idle was really rough and choppy, i threw it in neutral and held the gas at about 1000rpms, that stopped it, but worried the heck out of me. I was really watching it after that (did what had toand went home) it didnt do anything like that again. My oil pressure gauge seems to fluctuate a little more, but nothing else is wrong. Still runs about 28psi at low idle. its a 91 chevy w/ tbi 350. Anyone ever heard of this or know what it might be?

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Its possible the EGR valve got stuck for a second then straightened itself out when you raced it up a little, or possibly its getting ready for a complete tune up. When has it been tuned up last? I have a 92 Chevy pick up with the same motor as yours and i remember once the idle didnt feel right, like you say and my brother tapped on the EGR valve with a small wheel weight hammer and it straightened it right out. We ended up changing the EGR valve. Mike

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It'd been tuned up last spring, and most of the sensors have been replaced i think everything short of EGR, knock, and oil sender, hmm, thats a good thought, ill have to check it out tomorrow afternoon, Ive got my calc final in the morning :( so my night is pretty much dedicated to studyin, thanks for the info Mike!

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

You're very welcome! I hope im right and i hope you fix it. :drinkup: Mike