1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotten Oil Pan

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Big Dog D, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Just found out from my Ford dealer that I am Lucky Customer # 1 with a rotten oil pan on my diesel........................03, 6.0 litre!!!!

I made the appointment two weeks ago for thr truck to go in for a pan and they said that it wasn't the pan that they leak from higher up on the fuel rail and it must be running down onto the pan. Well I called them this a.m. to find out what was going on and they said I was right and that infact it was the pan that had rotted through. and that they hadn't seen or heard of this on any 6.0's. Lucky me.

WTF was Ford thinking??? Afeter replacing soooo many pans on the 7.3's you would have thought they would have gotten it figured out by the time they got around to the 6.0 litres hitting the production line.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  2. starc

starc Senior Member

I heard of a lot of people having there pan rot out, I have yet to have a pan rot. The 82 F350 I am using right now still has the original pan thats 24 years old, looks brand new still. Had a 69 diesel in an 86 F350 that plowed for years and it still looks like new as well. Strange how it happens to some and not others. Where do you park your truck, on pavement or gravel, or on dirt. I found on one truck I had that was parked around back on dirt had more of a problem with rusting of brake rotors etc...
  3. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

My 79 still has the original pan, but my 95 and a buddies 96 have had the pans changed already. They just don't make them like they used too.
  4. rollnthunder

rollnthunder Junior Member

I can tell you that your not alone on this issue.Also ask them if they are pulling the motor to put the pan on because if i remember right ford service manual states the motor must be pulled to put the pan on because the sealent needs to dry oil free and if the motor is still in the truck then all the oil will run down.This may have been on the 7.3 but im not sure.Also ask them if there is a technical service bulletin out on the pan.I know for the 7.3 they would clean the pan then put a 2 part epoxy on it to seal it up.It would dry and act like shell and was very durable maybe they can do that to the new pan to help protect it.If not i would rhino line the stupid thing.
  5. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

They replaced tons of pans....AT THE OWNERS EXPENSE......I had a 03 F-350 with the 7.3 and that one rotted out. Tried for weeks to get it covered under warranty and got left with a $1200 bill. They will only cover the pan if it cracks not rots even though they acknowlege that it was a problem with their pans,
  6. Big Dog D

They relpace hundreds of rotten pans everyday at their expense!!! They will only replace them once they begin to leak though. It doesn't matter if it shows all kinds of heavy scaly rust they will only do it if it is leaking.

All though they don't say they won't fix it if you help it along a bit though.;)
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, had one done by a different shop when the dealer wouldn't step up to the plate for me. Truck was 1 month out of warranty, had bought 7 trucks from them and they wouldn't do it. Told them they weren't going get my money for doing it out of warranty, either. Idiots.

I can see already that my 3 6.0's will all be leaking before the warranty is up.
  8. cgrappler135

cgrappler135 Senior Member

Yup had the same problem with my 01 f-350 dump but it only had 25,000 miles and the dealer had to cover it they also had to replace the glow plugs at the same time cause it was having a hard time starting! Fords was trying to fight me a little on it though!
  9. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I must have done something wrong because mine WAS leaking.

I went thorough 4 dealers, the tech line, regional managers, corporate...Sent letters, made dozens of calls and it all came back that the pans did have a history of rotting out but they were not covered by warranty.

They said even if the pan did crack that if it had signs of rot, they would not cover it.

I would be very interested to hear from guys that had no problem getting theirs replaced.

I did a lot of searching online and went through a bunch of truck forums and all found were literally hundreds of pages of people complaining about the same thing. Here and there someone would post that Ford replaced it for them, but no one would post any followup as to the circumstances and I can only think that it must have been a different issue other than rot......Or maybe the individual dealer did it and ate the cost.
  10. Big Dog D

I am on # 5. 4, 7.3's and now a 6.0 and all have ben covered by warranty essentialy no questions asked.
  11. J29

J29 Senior Member

I also never had a problem. Saw some spots on the garage floor under my 99 7.3, brought it into the local dealer, they called and told me what it was and replaced it without any other questions. Also fixed a small fuel line leak. Had it back three days later. Thankfully it happened with under six months left on the powertrain warranty, otherwise it would have been a very costly experience. J.
  12. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Im not disputing you but honestly from all my research that is a rare experience.....Im sure the dealer has something to do with it....Dealers do have some discretion....Yours definately took care of you.
  13. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If they want you to keep buying trucks they will do it. All I have to say is "Maybe I should go look at Chevies or Doges and they change their tune. They are supposed to refuse, but are getting the warranty work paid by Ford.
  14. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I have an 02 F450 and have one little rust spot on the oil pan. What, if anything, can be done to prevent this from happening? Is it really possible to Line-X them? I just started using Fluid Film (like crazy) and put some on the oil pan. Not sure if it will help or just burn off, but I though it was at least worth a try.
  15. Big Dog D

I don't know where you are doing your research but it is seriously flawed. The oil pans on the 7.3 Liters are notorious for rotting through. The thing about this is that this is a 6.0 Liter and from what I know and have heard this is one of the first 6.0's to rot through. Everybody thought and was hoping that these were going to be better.
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto. Most are being replaced when inside warranty, at least from what I've read. Other than mine, royally pissed me off. They get NONE of my non-warranty work anymore.
  17. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

gotta stop using that cheap chinese steel, low grade stuff...that goes to those other 2 big dogs too
  18. Big Dog D

Really it is Navistars problem. The pans are supposedly supplied by Navistar with the engines according to a Ford employee that I am friendly with. Supposedly Navistar is fotting the bill for the pan replacements.
  19. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The problem is that it is not just diesels. I have heard of quite a few gassers needing replacement as well.
  20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

When I bought my 89 - 6 years ago with a 351 in it, the truck had a new oil pan. It may just be the work we put our trucks through. Rode hard and put away wet.
    My next truck will be a 7.3 PSD and I will no doubt keep an eye on the oil pan!