1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rotten muffler, what do you guys run?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cmo18, Aug 20, 2010.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

2006 dodge ram 2500 diesel

I started my truck up yesterday morning when I herd a nice rumble. Only to find out my muffler rotted out.

I'd like to replace it with an aftermarket one to allow better air flow but do not want something too loud or with drone. Any suggestions?

I'd also like to stay away from custom fab. an exhaust..

thanks

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

rotted already ? i hear alot of people use the donaldson mufflers. i had a 5'' mbrp on mine but i took it off, it was just too loud when i was towing. id stick with a cat back system too, keeps the drone out plus the stock exaust flows fine anyway.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I dont have a diesel but I just run stock. I put enough money into my trucks without buying expensive high performance stuff. I had 2 guys subbing for me a couple years ago, one had cherry bombs (he was asked by a place we did not to come back) and the other guy had flow masters on his gasser and it sounded good but a little loud for plowing.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

M090544 is what I have. 51" long, 9" in diameter. Only slightly louder than stock, but much lower EGT's when pulling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4BT5iLXM-I

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Why not put a nice 8" stack through your cargo bed :laughing:

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

straight pipe it. Cheap easy fix. Mine did it too.

7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I would but I hear there's a lot of droning... disagree?
    Any problems passing inspection?

I think she rotted out because there too much coal burning out hah

8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Did you find it gave you a nice deep tone? I dont want a raspy sound like banks exhaust

I really like the sound of aero but am worried of it been to loud

9. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I used a 4" stainless magnaflo system. no problems and fits great.

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

He's looking for a QUIET solution, not a God-awful loud solution.

It's a nice quiet Diesel tone, no drone in the cab at all. Just got back from a 500 mile road trip last Sunday night, we were able to carry on a conversation at a rgular level the whole time.

11. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

hottexhaust.com search google for a coupon code great deals

12. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I'm not very interested in putting a cat-back on the truck because I'd imagine it will be to loud

I just want a deep sound that will bolt in place of the stock muffler or require minimal fab work...

im still liking the aero mufflers, any one use them?

13. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]
    Please no stacks are terrible.

14. chugbug

chugbug Junior Member
    from Ohio

Stacks are awesome for a show/fun truck. Otherwise they can get pretty loud right behind the cab when you're working it.

15. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I totally agree. I have stacks on my F350. Its great until you tow something or go on a long trip. I drove 12 hours straight last week and I thought I was going to puke my head hurt so bad. My ears were ringing all night. Still love it tho! As for the OP, I'd straight pipe it and see what you think of it and then go from there.

16. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

i ordered a aero turbine 4040...will see what it sounds like

thank for all the suggestions!

17. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

They sound great on Youtube. Hopefully it'll sound just as good for you.

18. Rogan

Rogan Junior Member

on my '96, I have Jacobs Exh. brake, 4" DP. At one time, I had dual 5" stacks, no cat, no muffler, and was stupid loud.. I mean INSANELY LOUD.. I hated it..

[​IMG]

Now, I've replaced the dual 5's with a single 7", and a resonator. It's fairly quiet in the cab, even towing my 9000lb trailer. Oddly, it's about 70% quieter than the dual 5s, even before I added a resonator.

[​IMG]

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I don't know what is is, but stacks still seem to redneck and unprofessional to me. That's my own personal opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me, just tossing that out there...

Besides, look how much bedspace you lose.

20. Rogan

Rogan Junior Member

yeah, about 6-8".
    I still carry 30-40 sheets of drywall in the truck, with ease.