1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotted Oil Dipstick

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BlueLine Ent, Feb 23, 2008.

1. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

I found tonight that my dipstick on our 97 F250 with the 5.8L windsor has rotted out where the bracket mounts to the engine and also at the bottom of the tube going into the engine. Has anyone else ever come across this, and also anyone know how hard/expensive it is to fix it? What does it entail? Thanks

Matt

2. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Had that happen on an older F250. The dip stick tube was sealed at the block with an "O" ring, and secured with the bracket. Not hard to fix if you can get the old one out.
    Don

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty common thing... About $40 for the stick and tube.. 1/2 hour or so to change.

The fun part is getting the correct one the first time.

4. BlueLine Ent

Ok, I still have about 6 inches left where it enters the block just above the oil pan that is pretty solid. Basically if i can pull that one out, the new one just slides in and the bracket holds it?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep..nothing special about it.

6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Pain in the butt dirty job and don't let any junk fall in the pan when you pull the old tube off. But not really all that bad of a chore in the realm of things.

7. BlueLine Ent

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick respone. I'll see if any of the local stores have one, and maybe have this fixed tonight before the girlfriend gets home.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Dealer item only..

9. BlueLine Ent

I wish I had hung around long enough to see that post.....I think you know what I was about to write here. I just wish it was illegal to write that something fits a particular model on the package, when in fact it doesnt. :realmad:

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

11. BlueLine Ent

Milwaukee, the one I bought was an aftermarket and it didn't fit even though it said right on my package Ford 351 Windsor, which is my engine. The shape wasnt the same, the dipstick length was wrong, the the tube was .020 of an inch bigger. I think the aftermarkets may work on a crate motor or something, but didn't work on my genuine 351.

12. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Oh that weird if they make those then why it don't fit.

Have you bought dipstick to store to get match. I alway do that why last time I bought fuel cap with lock they are not returnable so found it not fit so they told me it not refundable. It cost me 16 dollars.

That why I am start bring any parts to store to get make sure they are exact match.

13. BlueLine Ent

Yeah I brought mine to compare and found that the aftermarket ones tube was shorter, as was the dipstick itself, so I took a chance thinking that they shortented the stick to match the shortened tube so the reading would be right. In the end it didn't matter because the aftermarket tube was a wee bit too big for the hole. I took the chance though cause the part was $10, and I can return it tomorrow, and order one at the dealer on Monday.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two more minutes and you'd have had it..:)