1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotory Broom

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnMaster5000, Dec 13, 2002.

1. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

I have done a search on this subject and have come up with very little of the information that I am looking for.

I was wondering if anyone has used a powered rotory broom with a ZTR or a walkbehind for snow removal.

Living in St Louis MO, we dont get alot of snow, but when we do its usualy NOT just powder.

I am going to be purchasing my first snow removal equipment (other than shovel) and not sure what to get.

I will be in the market for doing small (18'x25') drives and some larger rap-around drives. Depending on snow fall I will be clearing anywhere from 5-25 of this size driveway (hopefully more).

If i choose to purchase a Rotory Broom, I will be fitting it on a Honda 20hp Walkbehind frame that normaly carries a 52" cutting deck. My dealer has these brooms but said he doesnt know how well it would work in snow.
    I have seen a local university use 3 different ZTRs w/ power brooms, to clear the sidewalks and parts of parking lots. This system seems to work great for them.
    Also how deep of snow should i be able to clear with one of these power brooms?

For either a Power Broom or Snow Blower, what should i be looking for. Handa makes the best single stage blower, right?

Thanks for your assistance.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Rotary brooms work ok up to about 4" of snow if its wet. Probably about 6-8" if its powder.
    Honda does make a very nice 520 single stage blower. I have 2-621's that I have had for 4 yrs, and aside from a belt, no issues at all. Although toro also makes a good unit.
  3. citybobcat

citybobcat Junior Member
    from NYC

If you are just looking to do a few driveway's without having to put a plow on a truck .Take a look at toro they have a great machine it's called the snow commander it has rubber blade's it doesn't damage anything! And it will run you about $900 alot cheaper than attachment's and plow's!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Is the Honda a 2 or 4 stroke engine?
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

4 stroke and easy starting, 2 pulls max
    Very quiet as well.
  6. captdevo

captdevo PlowSite.com Sponsor

i have a rotary broom for my Walker mowers in place of the deck, it works great in smaller accumulations of snow under 6".

i've used the BCS tiller broom attachment too, it works well also.

7. casey

casey Banned

Tried a Rad broom on an eXmark Tracer. Was not impressed. May work for walks but for drives you're better off with the blade attach. or a snowblower.