1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotors rubbing

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nsheaves, Jun 23, 2002.

1. nsheaves

nsheaves Junior Member

I recently purchased a '78 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup with a 360 engine, that needs some brake work. It came with 8-lug heavy duty rotors on the front disc brakes that were deeply scored. When I tried to replace these, I found that the new rotors were rubbing on the sides of the caliper arms (I haven't placed the actual calipers back on yet). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this or how to fix it? It's doing this on both sides. Thank you all for your help! :D

2. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

First mafe sure the old and the new rotors are the same size. The old dodges had a couple of different front ends in them along with different brakes ,steering box's and so on. Went through same thing on my 78. Great trucks still wish I had mine. Good luck.

3. nsheaves

nsheaves Junior Member

Thanks for the reply! Not many people come here, I see. Anyways, yeah we finally figured out that it's got a 1/2 ton front spindle. Imagine that! Took us darned near forever to find somebody who sold 1/2 ton, 8-lug, heavy duty rotors. Had to get one from one place, and the other from another. Do you know if having that 1/2 ton front end will affect my towing capacity and ability to stop while towing, as opposed to having the 3/4 ton front end? Thanks again!

4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Just so you know, if you have 8 lugs it is 3/4 or 1 ton front ends. That truck will pull a house down. Stoping well that is another thing. If your trailer has electric brakes, you might what to buy the set up for the truck.
    Not too many come to this sit cuz fords and chevy need more help. HA HA