1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotor Prices???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Pelican, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I was intending to do front brakes on my '92 3500 4x2 dump tomorrow and just picked up a pair of rotors tonight at $180 a piece!!! These are from Big A, not Chevy and the truck isn't the HD model.

I questioned the parts man about the price, he said that it's correct. The other parts store (Car Quest) in town was already closed, I can't compare until morning.

Can this price be anywhere close to being correct? The rotors on my F-350 dually were about $70 a piece, I was expecting something in that ballpark.:realmad:

2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I'll check the price with my parts guy but it sounds like that price is for hub and rotor. I'm not sure if GM uses one or two piece hub/rotors. Last week I priced front rotors for a F350. Hub and rotor was $140 each and $45 for just the rotor.

John

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've had a chance to look at my golden rotors, they're one piece, hub and rotor. They have the wheel studs and bearing races installed also.

I'll have to see if the originals are this type too, I sure hope not. I'll check that in the morning.

Thanks for responding, John, I'd be curious if you come up with the same numbers.

4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Cost

Yea their expensive $152.00 @ here, helped a friend last month do his. payup He told the parts guy he didn't want a whole new truck but that's what he had to paid $304.00. He did some other things & spent just under $600.00 to get it to stop again.:(

5. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Ouch

I just got a qoute from my parts guy.

Front rotor (w/rear drum brakes) $157.00 list for $251
    Front rotor (w/rear disc brakes) 178.00 list for $282

Kind of pricy if you ask me but what can you do?

John

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I guess I'm stuck, I took a look at the originals today, same design. I called another supplier, he wanted $225 a piece for them. You guys get better prices than we do here, I'd have saved $60 on the pair from your suppliers.

Anyone know if Chevy still uses that design? It doesn't seem too practical when compared to the competition, it would influence my buying decision.

7. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Pelican,
    Its a shame you didn't know you needed the rotors before JP's BBQ. I would have brought them up to you. I might be heading up to JP's for two more RCS pushers in a few weeks. All depends if this deal goes thru. I'll keep you posted. How far are you from Tarrant Manufacturing in Saratoga Springs?

John

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the offer, John, but I need to get this truck back in service. I'll just have to bight the bullet.

I didn't clock the milage to Tarrant, it took just under 2 hours from my home, I'm about 35 minutes from the T-way. They're real simple to get to, I got my directions from mapquest. Their address is at their website .

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Those 2wd rotors are beefy unit,take them and get them turned,I normally just replace them,but for 300 a pair,yikes,you can get a pair turned for 25 bucks here.Repakc the bearings,and get a few more yrs out of them.If you ran them metal on metal,and totally destroyed them,then disreguard this.

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had originally blown off that idea, the rotors are pitted pretty badly, this truck was used heavily for sanding. I'm definately reconsidering, I'll have them measured once they're off and see if they can be cut. Thanks.

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well I put new rotors on last year from autopalace and they where around $20 could not belive it.My truck is a '97 hd3/4 4x4 i thought that they would be around $120 but not $20. but i know some one that has like an '88 2wd chevy dump and it cost hime over$100 for his because of the year.