1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotator or LED?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by sabres07, Oct 11, 2009.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I am not convinced that LED mini light bars are bright enough in daylight. I saw some road crews working the other day in bright sunlight and they all had some version of a dual rotator mini lightbar. They were very visible. Not sure what type of lightbulbs were in them other than they definately were not LED. I was thinking maybe a Whelen guardian might be a good choice. Any thoughts?

2. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

In my opinion L.E.D.s are brighter. Especially if you get the GEN3 bulbs or TIR bulbs

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The LEDs are improving. I saw some the other day, I was impressed. Sun was getting low, shining directly in the LEDs, could still see them.

I still feel you can't beat a halogen rotator during the day.

I wish there was some standardized measurement of output for these things.

4. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Ok, so halogen rotators are brighter than a standard lightbulbed rotator? What other types of bulbs are there besides halogen???? I am a newbie when it comes to warning lights.

5. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

http://s683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/cfdeng7/

obviously this is a full sized bar but it shows u how bright leds are during the day. a whelen mini liberty or freedom bar has the same leds that are in my bar and they are very bright during the day time. and they never burn out and draw almost nothing for amps which is great for a plow truck

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Since your new to lighting... The Halogen bars mostly use a 50w H1 bulb. The bulb isn't what draws all the power it's the combination of the Rotator and the bulb. Led's use much less power but like someone earlier said.. you need to get into a Generation 3 or TIR Leneor bulb system.

If your on a tight budget you can get some decent Mini Halogen bars for under $200 but if you have it..The LED's start over the $300 mark for a mini bar.

I personally like the halogens...they pack more punch when they hit you!

Good luck!

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

To me - LEDS seem to carry a good punch when viewed directly, but seem to dimish quickly once you get a few degrees off center. I know that manufacturers have been working to improve this. There is no arguing that LEDs are the most reliable, and use the least power.

8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I would say rotator halogens are a bit brighter if not the same as leds but it all depends on brand also. You have to remmber though leds won't wear down your battery or won't be noisy like most rotators

9. STREETGLIDE

STREETGLIDE Member
    from OHIO

I have both led and a whelen guardian rotator and the rotator is brighter in the daylight an also puts light all around you at all times when an led is more of a directional light, you have to be comming direct into an led to see it, you would also have to have led's all around your vehicle on all sides to be seen from all sides when a rotator does it for you with one light. the whelen guardian is only 199.00 new with mag mount.

10. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  11. STREETGLIDE

STREETGLIDE Member
    from OHIO

Thats a good deal.

12. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Streetglide, is that the Whelen Guardian halogen that you have????

13. STREETGLIDE

STREETGLIDE Member
    from OHIO

yes.it is.

14. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well you could go with a hybrid :D Rotator and LED :D
    http://www.projectresponder.com/pse/d254-RotoLED-LED-Hybrid-Minibar.htm

From what i have seen these are amazing. A lot more money compared to halogen but you get longer life and a lot less amp draw.

And then theres regular bars. With the new generation bars you can see from all angles. So the whole, you need to be in line of sight thing is mute. Heres my mini justice during the day. Just as bright as a rotator if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHixZos7XEQ

15. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i run code 3 excalibur and 420 style lights and with the fast rotators and they are very bright day and night. I also do have groomet strobes in the dump bodys that help out for the the instant flash when traffic is near.

A friend of mine had a full size led bar, and in my opinion they seem dim from a distance untill your right up within 20 ft of it.
    I like the rotators due to the fact that they have the distance to throw the light pretty far compared to leds, but they do draw the juice down whereas the leds dont.

16. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I do kinda have to agree with that. In the day the spread doesnt go too far on LEDs unless your right in their line of sight.

17. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

18. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

My fed sig LED lightbar is bright at every viewing angle. Does not get less effective when off to the side. Its the same bar all the city cops use exact same setup. Rotators are for 2003 trucks and older lol.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Nice thing about LED's is they don't reflect off buildings and make you dizzy during a blizzard or in between buildings.

Get the newer versions and they are way, way, WAY brighter than any halogen.

20. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

X2 X2. The NEW stuff is amazing.