1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotator Lightbar Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Joe Snow, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

I don't want to permanently mount anything to the roof of my truck, so I'm looking at rotators only becuase they'll save considerable $$ over strobe lightbar. Mini & mag mount.
    Also, who has experience with these not blowing off their truck? Are the mags that good to keep 'em in place?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance....
    :waving:

2. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I have been using a federal signal mini rotator, it grabs attention good. I have never had it mover over the winter, and I think it was right around 100 bucks.

3. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

4. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

all but one of my light bars are permenent mount. the one magnet mount is only that way because i can't get into a freind's garage with it on. it is the Federal Signal Aerodynic and they are quite tall. it holds to the truck pretty well because it is held down by 4 CB antenna magnets. those were the only thing I counld find to hold it and it has only been tested up to 75 MPH, after that it is anybody's guess as I don't want to push that truck all that hard. the rest are on trucks that do much over the limit as I use them to respond to the fire department and I don't want chance them coming off! it would be ideal if you could get a back rack and then permently mount the light to that then you don't have holes in the truck and you don't have to worry about it coming off.

5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Bully/Baja makes a neat rack that mounts where your cab mounted brake light is. Check it out here.

6. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

That is a pretty neat mount. Never seen anything like it. Kind of pricey, but for the problem it solves for me, may be worth it. I have seen backracks on ebay new for right around $200 too. Hmmmmm

7. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

I have a Code 3 mini light bar that I bought on eBay a couple years ago. Hasn't failed me yet and comes with 4 magnets. I removed them, re drilled, and use just two to hold it to my Back Rack.

8. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

10. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

11. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

joe snow, i have the code 3 with the fast rotators and you can see it up to 1 mile. I can get a short video clip of day and nite if you want.

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have two fo the PSE code 3 lights as well. Bought them this year on e-bay. I think I paid 205 with shipping for both of them. They have held on the trucks with no problems on the road yet. I just haven't gotten any snow to plow to see how they hold up that way. Yes they are pretty bright as well.

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I use the code 3 dual rotators. It has four magnets and stays put. I am going to mount it on my back rack next week and just hook it up to the AUX button on my dash and cut the cig attachement off and hard wire. The AUX button wire runs to the third brakelight so I should be pretty simple. The Aux 12 volt gets pretty hot and I melted one and had to go to the dealer to get another aux 12 volt.8 dollar fix. But the lightbar and my corner strobes you can see the truck good. Just the rotators you give plenty of warning...I( got mine for about 100 last year..

14. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Well of course, EVERYONE likes videos!xysport

Where in Iowa are you located?

15. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

joe, im from the dsm area. I will try to get some pics tonight of the truck. Once the spreader goes on the truck, 6 more strobe lights get hooked up so i need to get a pic of it too.

16. beaver2

beaver2 Member

I've had good luck with 9200 series Star light bars.

17. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

A lot of people around here use Federal "highliters" I think thats the model. They are very bright, some have a fast rotator and some slow. Either way they seem to be very bright, just not overly aerodynamic. I think they are about $100.

As im a Whelen man, this federal bar is pretty awesome and budget oriented.

18. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Galls has a generic Whelen II just put their name on it for $70 + shipping. Double rotator and 4 magnets. They have it in their clearance area. Looks to me like they're clear lense with colored filters.

19. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

I ordered a Code 3 420 with fast rotators and suction/magnets. It was highly recommended by all you boneheads so what the hey?:cool:

20. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Thats a nice one