1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotator keeps tripping fuses....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Killswitch, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Hey guys. I have a new Whelan mini dual rotator and the thing already melted an extension cord to the cig lighter/power point, and last night running it without any ext cord it fried the 20 amp fuse and any replacements.

I tried 25 amp fuses and they blew too.

Any thoughts?

I am calling Whelan next week but if ya have any tips.

It seems to be drawing bigger power than it should.

:dizzy:

2. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

You will probably need to run it off of a dedicated switch box. I had the same problem, it draws too much, ran it off of a switch box, problem fixed.

John

3. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Whadya mean a switch box. Its got the plug deal on it. Can I wire that into a relay and 12 volt switch?

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look at the plate on the light and see what it's rated at,Like 12 volts at so many amps. I would think you have a short somewhere. A big 8 beamer light bar might pull 25 amps but not a little one. If the cord it came with is hot you have a problem with a partial short to ground.

5. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Must be. This things supposed to draw 8 amps but is blowing 25 amp fuses imediately.

6. ght1098

ght1098 Member

If it's blowing fuses as soon as you plug it in you have a short in the wiring, look it over real good. If it is blowing them after running for awhile you have a bad ground causing too much resistance, usually from using the cig lighter plug, never really liked using those things anyway, just hard wire it to a switch. Good luck.

7. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Well, It has run for a short time then blown the fuse, and has blown them as soon as you plug in which is what it does now.

Its a magnetic mount. Is there two wires in the cord? A power and ground?

If I do hardwire the thing will that solve the problem? I mean the things brand new.

Wheres the bad ground or short?

Im calling the company too. This shouldnt be happening with a new unit.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I was told by a parts store owner one time:
    " 1 in 10,000 new parts are defective right out of the box "
    Guess who's Mr 10,000th this week?

Got a Volt Ohm Meter? Try putting it on the ohm's setting and putting the positive probe on the center pin of the cig plug and the neg on the light's metal underside etc.
    I bet you have 0 resistance / Ohm's = direct short to ground.
    There will be very little if you put it on both contacts of the lighter plug also because of the short to ground.

9. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

I got a Phone.

Ill be using it to tell Whelan where to pick this bag up.

10. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Update: Cut the plug off, hardwired it to a fused switch and so far its working fine.

:dizzy:

Next summer when its warm out Im gonna get a four or five panel fused switch box and clean up all these switches, and get a terminal/junction box and run that from my battery power. My battery looks like some weird serpent or octopuss with all the hookups to positive.

But everythings everthang.

Thanks for the tips.

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Be careful with all of those wires man... no fires this early in the season!:eek:

12. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Oh Im good. Everythings tight, insulated, siliconed, and greased, but I need to tidy it up to my standards with a terminal block and one dedicated four switch fused panel instead of individual switches mounted.