1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotation sound and Hub locked

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Richard123, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Richard123

Richard123 Member
    from CT

:realmad: ROTATION SOUND, ROTATION SOUND !
    When I try to turn my hubs, need to use a wrench, to lock them in and out, I get a rotaion sound when driving. You can here it the most when slowing down to stop.
    I am considering replacing the Hubs with the WARN or Superwinch hubs....but does this solve the rotation noise?
    Warn hubs are $179.00 and superwinch, $157.00
    2001 Ford F350 Super Duty.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  2. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

have you checked out your wheel bearing? Usually need replacing anywhere from 100k -150k mile. Some have replaced them much sooner.

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Definately check the wheel bearings. Changing the lockouts might help, but I would check the bearings first. Good luck

4. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

I had the same problem with mine on my 2002 F250 except they would make a noise when in the auto (free) position. It was the hub not completely disengaging. I also had to use a wrench to turn to lock since the automatic hubs quit working 2 years ago (JUNK) so I installed a set of Warn lockouts and the problem is gone.

5. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

yeah check the hubs if theyre autos, lot of times they will stick partially...usually the little vaccume tube breaks or fall off...

if you have the fully manual setup then yeah its your needle bearings, if you dont engage the 4x4r periodicly or grease the heck out of them then its what went wrong..

dont drive too long like that as youll ruin your spindle shafts which are siezing onto the bearing....get those needle bearings out and replaced, theyre only 8 bucks but about 6 hours of labor in a heated garage..

just finished mine on the 99, took me 550 in just parts and dust seals, etc. @ thedieselstop.com ive read stories of people paying 2k and up, as the dealers like to replace whole hub assys.

anyhow take out your hub lockouts, just remove that retaining ring and dont lose the washers inside, then with both sides out, have someone watch and see if the driveshaft and/or spindle are moving still, if so then you know your axle siezed onto the bearings...if the driveshaft dosent spin...you know it syour bearings, usually the main bearing is fine, its just thiose 4x4 needle bearings on the backside of the hub...lots of 4x4-ing and salt water exposure can get to them fast, ford says have them greased and repacked after about 70k miles...and during the summer when you take that 1 mile treck to wawa to grab some smokes, engage the 4x4 to keep everything loose and moving...

good luck

6. Richard123

Richard123 Member
    from CT

I will have to check the bearings...I was realy going with the hub problem allthough last winter thay turned freely...the sticking problem just started. I have engaged them through the corse of the summer just to keep things moving... This just started where I cant turn them with out a little help from the wrench.

7. Richard123

Richard123 Member
    from CT

No problems when not locked in

Never have any problems when not locked in. Truck runs like a bear when the hubs are not locked in. Do get a lot of brake squeal though...yes I changes all the pads and yes they are no longer full metallic they are now semi metallic and
    I still get the occasionally brake squeal...but thats another story.
    As for the problem being gone,,,,,what problem is gone? the rotation sound or the hard to turn hub ????

8. Richard123

Richard123 Member
    from CT

Wheel Bearings

Wheel Bearings....... Why do I not have a problem in two wheel drive and why do you think I do not have the problem with the switch in 4x4 but hubs locked out....
    This only happens when the hubs are locked and in four wheel or not in four wheel. I will get the rotation noise either way

9. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

cause when the hubs are locked in that spindle shaft (axle shaft) is spinning......if a few ofd the needles are bad, rusted, or stuck then youll be able to feel and hear it...

..thankfully you say when youre not in 4x4 and your hub locks are unlocked you dont have any problems...sucks when you have to do a front end rebuild when it was supposed to be ball joints only..