1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotating Beacon Choices???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMan4U, Nov 3, 2005.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado and am looking for some sort of a rotating beacon that I can attach to either the cargo light on the back of the cab, or something similar.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

3. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

I personally wouldn't own a rotating beacon, they transmit sound through the ceiling of your truck and are the most anoying thing I ever have tried.. Thats just me, if you like listening to music while you are plowing your going to have to play it rather loud to drowned out the sound of that light rotating--swossh--swoosh over and over...drive a goood man nuts,,,,:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I have an 04 silverado. Dual rotating beacon by Able 2. It's a mag mount. I hear the slightest hum, that's it.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I use duel rotators on our trucks, sure with the radio off you might hear them, but there quieter than listening to the capacitor charge and discharge in the strobe light!!:nod:

6. Give a thought to LED light bars or light sticks. They tend to be more compact in size, burn very bright, last longer than strobes or rotating flashers and draw significantly less amps than other types of emergency/flashing lights.

More costly than "standard" lights but in my opinion worth the extra bucks.

Patrick

7. appearanceplus

appearanceplus Junior Member

Solution To Roof Top Light Hookup

I hooked mine into the cargo light on the back of ny cab. I purchased the lite for 100 new, and tapped into the rear cargo light. SO, when you turn on the cargo light it goes on. WOrks awesome. I went with magnet/suction mounting so I can remove for carwarshes

8. BigBurban

BigBurban Member

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have this Federal Signal one
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...oductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=771&R=771

Works great. The only time I can hear it is when the truck is not running. I don;t like the LED ones- personally they annoy me. The light they give off irritates my eyes, and I know several people with the same issue- a driver comeing at me with irritated eyes is a bad thing to me so I'll stick to strobes or rotators for know.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get a decent size about $100 magnet mount strobe. Very low amp draw,no moving parts,very bright and they last a long time with no repairs.
    A strobe bar with white will have snow "splash" but amber only you will never notice unless you look for it reflected in a window etc. Try: Galls.com or search Galls they have anything you would want.

11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Use a single ECCO 5600 or 5660 (don't remember model number off hadn) Amber rotator with magnetic soft cup. No noise what so ever. Biggest thing for me is it's easy to put on and take off as I can't stand lights on a truck unless they are being used.

Buck

12. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

I really like the low profile of this. Did you mount yours permanent or mag?

13. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I'm going to try the 911EP 360 Star. It is a round LED light with four sets of three diodes, so it can simulate a rotator.
    I've been playing with the settings and it does have some interesting flash patterns.
    http://www.911ep.com/products/360star.asp

I don't know how if compares to other lights and I haven't mounted it yet, so I don't know how well it works, but that should be coming soon.
    Perhaps after I get it set up I can meet up with some other folks here with other beacons and we can see how they all compare?

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

15. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I like strobes myself. I run them direct so as not to mess up the radio. I still have a bunch of rotators. we use to mount them to a stand we made that fit in the stake pocket of the bed. That way you don't hear them. The electric pull was never a big deal as we had the old style Meyers that had an engine driven pump with no electonrics.

16. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

17. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

My personal preference is rotating halogens.

LED light bars are bright enough only if you are looking for it. In my opinion it doesn't "jump" out at you and create the warning that i'm looking for.

Some stores sell small rotators that don't use 55w halogens. I don't like these either for the same reasons. They just aren't bright enough to create the sense of warning.

Strobe light bars are very bright, but I just can't warm up to them. In my opinion they don't catch your eye they way that a rotator does.

I think the best setup for being noticed is a dual rotator and strobes in your tail lights and turn signals. Nobody can miss that.

Again, all this is in my humble opinion....

Glen

18. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Not sure which LED lightbars you've seen, but all of the recent ones out there are way brighter than rotating bars. In fact, the newer ones have a dimming circuit for those who think they are too bright at night on roads with no streetlights. Rotators are pretty much obsolete and you will see a general migration to LED technology over the next few years. Almost all new lightbars on public safety vehicles are either LED, strobe or a hybrid.

19. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Yes, the newer generations of LEDs are as bright or brighter than strobes, IMHO.

20. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

L.E.D. lights a nice to have ... its just that i cant see the need to cough up $850 for a whelen mini bar.... i can see people who are trying to save the amperage of the alternator ... but i know alot of people who take half there house with them to plow snow ... strobe bars are efficient at night ... and dont take up much amps .. less expensive then led ... just my .002