1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rotating beacon burned out my 12v plug

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sweedfire86, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Sweedfire86

Sweedfire86 Junior Member

My rotating beacon burned out my 12v plug. All fuses are normal and in working order. I have no power going to the plug now. Anyone else run in to this issue. Does anyone have a solution?

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

hardwire the light to the battery

3. Sweedfire86

Sweedfire86 Junior Member

I plan on doing that. But I am at my primary job now and another storm on the horizon. I have a working 12v plug left, just wondering if anyone had this happen and what was done to fix the plugs. Also got a new LED mini that I hope will draw much less than the halogen rotator.

4. xgiovannix12

yes it happens to every 1 since the halogen draws way to much. the 12v plugs cant handle that much draw for a long time... The led one should be fine on your 12v socket.

5. Deli_Guy

Deli_Guy Junior Member

Power for rotating light

Just Gitter Done! Wire direct to the battery with 12 awg wire, an inline blade breaker and 20a switch.

6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

2 of my 3 sockets aren't working, is it the Fuse under the hood for assy?

7. xgiovannix12

sockets might need to be replaced...

8. Deli_Guy

Deli_Guy Junior Member

Truck manufacturers vary in how they wire and some change the way the wire from one model to the next.
    Some have fusible links which will have to be replaced.
    Others have blade fuses at a panel and others have inline fuses.

Best bet is to look for a burned out fuse first, go from there.

Having a voltmeter helps. You can tone out the wires and the receptacle to see if there is still a connection. Sometimes the receptacle melts and the wire falls off.

9. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Mines a 2005hd and there are no fuses for it. If its like mine you have a fusible link in the socket and will have to replace the socket.

10. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Burnt out/blew the fuse a couple times in the beginning of the season before my new LED mini light bar arrived. My fuse was in the engine compartment panel, don't forget about the fuse panel on the drivers side of the dash board. I'm sure you've checked it, but I would look again and switch it out with another fuse of the same rating.

Michael

11. mikelawtown

from Mass

it was a Blown Fuse under the hood. weird that I have had this light (whelen Guardian duel strobe) for 5 yrs and never once Blew a fuse..

12. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Did you change plows this season? Did you get a new or change salt spreaders? Or are you drawing more electricity any other way?

If no, then you may need a new battery or an alternator. But i'm not a mechanic.

Michael

13. mikelawtown

from Mass

same plow, same Newer Batt and a year old Altr