1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rot Rust Rot Price Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gmgbo, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

i have an 89 gmc regular cab, long bed with a very small amount of rust on the wheelwell. I got an estimate of $500 to weld a patch in and prime it. Does that sound right?

2. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

Hi there.
    Sounds a little high priced. But metal work does cost now adays. Do you have a pic of it?
    that way can get abetter idea of the work invovled

3. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

That is pretty high all it is is a peice of sheet metal. Look in the phone book and try to find a sheet metalist (not a body shop) Take it up there and have them meausre it. This is how the body shops get thiers they mark it up 25 percent .

Go take that peice to Maco I am sure it will be MUCH cheaper and get a quote.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Thats not horribly outa line, especially since rust repair always turns into more of a production than you think. He is CYA his butt if thats a firm quote. Most shops hate dealing with rust repair. Collision is were the easy $ is

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Is this one side or two?

Bedside patch panels are commonly available thru places like JC Whitney, or Cross Canada (the supplier for most places). They are quite cheap. They can be welded on, riveted, or even glued in place. Home bodywork is not that hard to do and would be a good experience. You could probably do both sides of the box for less than $100 including primer.

Its actually a lot easier to do than it looks.

6. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Is it the front or the rear? Either way complete replacement fenders for Chevies are incredibly inexpensive. Why spend big bucks for a patch job when you can bolt on a complete panel with no bondo? The front fender is a simple bolt-in part. The bed side panels also bolt on but usually have a few spot welds that need to be drilled out and rewelded on the new panel. Either way, this is far superior and far cheaper than having a body shop patch the truck.

7. derekbroerse

Full bedsides are quite pricey, you'd be better off buying another box if that was the case, as they are quite plentiful on ebay....

8. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

$40 for a patch panel, im just worried about not being able to get it smooth and flush with the bed. Ive seen other people do it and it looks fine until its painted, then the waves appear.

9. derekbroerse

Consider just doing the steelwork then. If you can MIG weld it, you are much better off. After cutting the old panel (don't cut too much) start with tack welds. Don't put too much heat to it at a time or you will warp it! Slowly fill in the gaps in between allowing cooling time. You will want a completely solid bead by the time you are done or moisture will be able to get in between.

If you are patient while doing the filler work, it can be done by anyone. Spray primer on what you think is 'done' and let it dry. Then wet the panel with water and look at the reflection--you'll probably have more work to do. Even if it isn't perfect you could probably have a body shop finish it very reasonably at that point....

10. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

"...Full bedsides are quite pricey, ..."

Actually, I paid $150 for a complete 8 ft bedside for the 73-87 body style trucks. Got it at the Carlisle swap meet a couple of years ago. Yes, it's genuine made-in-China steel, but it was more than good enough for what I wanted. In terms of total cost to weld in a patch panel and get an acceptable looking job, I still think this is the way to go, though if you CAN find a complete bed in good shape, that's certainly an option. The problem is that if a person is located in an area that's susceptible to rust, a bed in good shape will require a road trip to pick it up.

Joe Padavano

11. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

i looked for beds ebay and local, but they are old, dinged up and $600. A bedside out of lmc truck magazine is like $400+. I think im guna work on it begining good friday.

12. derekbroerse

Well I would have to say the $150 a side deal is a bit of a fluke, I've never found them that cheap. The cheapest I have come across is about $350 each. I wish I could find a set at $150 each!!!

13. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

yea me too payup

14. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Autobody Specialties was the vendor I bought my bedside from. They're in CT, so shipping can be pricy depending on your location. They attend both Spring and Fall Carlisle, and you can call them with a credit card number ahead of time to pay for the sheet metal and have them brind it to Carlisle for you to avoid shipping charges.

15. derekbroerse

Do they have a website, by chance?

16. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/

Unfortunately, either my memory is really bad or they've increased their prices significantly (or both). A bedside is now $395. I'm pretty sure I didn't spend anywhere near that amount, although now that I think about it I did buy that bedside in 1998. Sure doesn't seem like that long ago. Sorry for the misinformation.

Joe Padavano