1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rookies last year to 2nd year plowers,how much did you learn?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Nov 18, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So all you guys still on PS and were new last season. How well did you do and what did you learn to use for this season?

2. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I learned that when you have over 50 door yards and 2 commercial lots to tend to, you need another truck payup

3. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

I'm here and i exceeded my expectations for my 1st year. I have retained all my customers as well for 2011-2012. I have never subbed nor will i ever because of what i've learned on PS.

4. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Learned I wanted a new plow for my newer truck and just picked up a new snowdogg HD75. Plus I keep gaining accounts. Business is good I guess. Must be doing it right. I'm here to stay.

5. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I'm not a rookie to plowing but this is my 2nd year on plowsite, I sub and have my own lots as well, lost some accts gained some too. So much info on here there is always something to learn. Oh and I learned that grandview is a real pisser!!! :)

6. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I was a rookie last year and have learned a lot from the site. The first thing I learned in the field is that for a rookie it is prolly not a good Idea to take on large commercial accounts out the gate in this business. Not saying that I wasnt making a few mistakes here and there but dealing with a large strip mall (bout as much lot as a walmart) your trying to impress more that just a few people and in this business it just seems impossible to make them all happy. The other thing I learned is that no matter what if your gonna have accounts like that your gonna need 2 trucks........ I didnt have a breakdown all last year but man was I scared it was gonna happen........... My small accounts I picked up last year they couldnt be happier!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

This wil be my 3rd winter. Ive learned that there is this old timer veteran dude on plowsite, think his names grandview or something? seems to dish out a lot of sh*t and spend too much time escaping his wife on internet forums.:laughing:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  8. ford26

ford26 Junior Member

Pick up a lot more customers! and returning customer. Newer truck.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And its all free info for you!

Just how many posts were deleted from this last night?:eek:

10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Hey!!!!!....What happend to my Post...I thought it was witty and smart......:confused:.....:laughing:

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Only some people are allowed to be witty and smart.

12. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Just working for a company a realized people are stupid!!!

Backing up in lots at 3am and people will walk right behind the truck!!!, never let your guard down. Oh and if you forget there the light standard is, just STOP!! haha. (p.s. I was in an F550 with dump = Zero Vizibility)

13. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I have been plowing for 7 or 8 years but was a sub for most along with business partner and other euipment.
    We always did our own driveways but decided to learn snow plowing as a sub. Last year was our first real complete year on our own. We did fairly well I would say.
    Going into this year and thinking back and watching other the thing I learned was I am happy we decided to learn the business as a sub. I provided lots of knowledge, limited liabilities and got saved some headaches. It also helped me learn alot which in term helped to make me look competent and professional when meeting with prospective clients.
    Looking forward to year 2 as we have our first snowfall coming down right now and waiting to go out in a few hours. GL this year.