1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tnyblgn3, Nov 17, 2008.

1. tnyblgn3

tnyblgn3 Junior Member

I have just bought a truck and a plow for my brother in-law’s factory parking lot. I got to thinking maybe I can make some extra money and didn’t want to limit myself to just that job and was wondering what type of documentation and credentials do I need to plow other business? (i.e.; license, insurance, bonded?) I have checked my city hall and they don’t seem to have any answers for me. Can anybody help?
    I live in the suburbs of Chicago Illinois
  2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

you will need commercial snowplow insurance, and if you are doing commercial lots, IE. banks/food stores etc.... you will also want General Liability ins (for slip & falls etc....)
  3. tnyblgn3

tnyblgn3 Junior Member

That simple? Just insurance? That’s sounds good can I get it through any insurance company like the common car insurance companies?
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Contact your agent and ask about Commercial Vehicle and General Liability policies. Check each town you're going to plow in for information on any permits needed to plow snow in that area. Find out laws pertaining to emergency lights for snowplows in your state.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It may seem simple.....till you get the rate the insurance co will charge you.
    Better make sure you don't take on too much work and tick people off by not getting their snow plowed.
    Good Luck. :salute:
  6. tnyblgn3

tnyblgn3 Junior Member

Got it, Thanks, I was told some horror stories about plows getting cited for 150 dollar fines, i can fend off local police usally cause i am one, but the city can still get me.
  7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Police looking the other way when Police are doing wrong.... HHMMMMMMMMMMM...
  8. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Welcome to the Plowsite!
  9. tnyblgn3

tnyblgn3 Junior Member

Thats not what i ment, police officers use discretion when approaching an offender. They can cut anybody a break for anything i.e. speed, stop sign etc. Me myself being new i can prob get cut a few breaks here and there.
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I thought the laws were there for a reason. Guess it must be OK to break them "IF" you can. :dizzy: JMO
  11. tom_mccauley

Can I break the law to?:jester::jester::jester:
  12. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I see this thread going down the tube.....fast
  13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

and it was going good too:alien:
  14. tom_mccauley

Now to get back on topic!:

I have my ins through progressive (cheap, but you are locked into a mileage radius with your truck) ask for snow plowing & wood hauling:drinkup:
  15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck on finding any more lots....

There pretty much all signed up for the season.

You could probably sub, or get some resis on top of your bro in laws lot.
  16. BGehl

BGehl Member

You may want to ask your at your town hall if they require anything. I had to pay a $45 fee and provide proof of insurance. In most places you can probably get away with it, but the folks at out town hall are known to be a little uptight.
  17. tnyblgn3

tnyblgn3 Junior Member

thanks guys been really helpful, i actually got 3 lots right now two factories and one jiffy lube, lol well see how it goes, i still have yet to push any snow.