1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rookie slips jack on Fisher MMII / To low to remount

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by rjocean1, Jan 11, 2009.

1. rjocean1

rjocean1 Junior Member
    from NH

I'm an amateur. I have a new Fisher MMII on a 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5. I took the plow off, but leaned it forward while jack lock was half disengaged. Plow slipped and, of course, jack is now locked into it's highest position (leaning the plow into it's lowest position) plow is now to low (3 inches) to remount on truck.......... Help!!
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Put a jack under it and raise it back up.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I had that happen and used a 10' 2"x6" as a lever and another 2"x8" as a fulcrum. Put the lever under the brace behind the jack and it'll lift it high enough to get the jack back where it should be. The problem with using a jack is that there is nowhere to put it unless you've got one of those scissor types.
  4. rjocean1

rjocean1 Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the Help! Which part would be best to put the jack under?
  5. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

The part that's too low... cmon dude, If you can't figger this out, should you really be driving around with a huge chunk of metal on the front of your truck???:cry: Do people really not have that much common sense? Sorry for flaming on you, but jeesh...
  6. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

DITTO, that says it all
  7. amilehighplowin

amilehighplowin Junior Member

man....just what I was thinking,:dizzy:
  8. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

I was thinking I hope he isn't waiting to plow till he gets an answer.
  9. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

why not just pick the damn thing up with the chain then set the jack under it?
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

uh, it's a minute mount.......
    oops, just saw your sig- you don't have any fishers- MM systems have the whole lift frame come off as a unit- can't lift anything until the frame (which is what he dropped) is attached to the truck
  11. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

why bother with jacks, fulcrums and levers? just roll the thing on its face, adjust the peg-leg and flip it back down.

On a side note, be careful with that peg leg, I almost lost my finger in one this fall when it collapsed like you described. 3 stiches on the bottom of my finger and 2 top. I always double check the lock is in place properly before dismounting the plows now.
  12. crabbybob

crabbybob Junior Member
    from 01440

I've rolled my plow on it's face a few times to adjust the jacket stand but it's a 7.5' light duty fisher.

OUCH! Thanks for the warning.
  13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Tundra's only get 7ft and 7.5 rd. They are real lite.
  14. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Let the air out of your front tires to lower the truck to the right height for the plow:waving:
  15. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

thats why i love this place.....somebody comes looking for advice.....

and boy dont they get it
  16. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Come on guys, we've all been a rookie at one point. The first Fisher I hooked up a didn't compress the lift piston and man was that a pain in the ass to get on. We all have to start somewhere.
  17. low country

low country Junior Member

too low to mount.......

Put a floor jack under it next where the foot comes down to keep plow at right height.
    will lift plow frame up to right height so you can put plow on truck.....

had that problem once.....
  18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You know- I agree we ALL had to start somewhere, but the thing that get's me is no one around here asking for help seems to have ever read the instructions for the brand new plow they just had installed or talked to the dealer they bought it from (or the guy who sold them the truck)!

Fisher not only gives you this nice little handy instruction manual with troubleshooting info and maintenance for your plow setup ( I would think the other manufacturers do too...) but the MM series had instructions on the back of the blade right next to the levers you need to work!

We've all had this problem at one time, but I would wager most of us figured out the issue and how to fix it without internet help..... If problem solving skills are lacking for minor issues with mounting and demounting your plow, what are you going to do at 2am in a blizzard at a remote account when something breaks down?
    Seriously, if you follow the instructions from the plow manufacturer there is no need for jacks, frames, levers, dollys.....
  19. 207

207 Junior Member

I may be missunderstanding the problem, but when I've needed to raise up my fisher MM so I could line up the height with my truck I just pick up on the frame part to the desired height and have a buddy pull the pin so the leg lowers and then engage the pin to lock it in. I'm fairly fit, but I'm no body builder. It's not that heavy.
  20. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

Rule of thumb...Think before asking...thats what I tell my kids...that being said...Since your new to the wonderful life of plowing, check things twice before you go backing away from the plow when dismounting...make sure your jack is secured with the locking rod, make sure you've disconnected the pins completely...make sure your cables are disconnected...like said before in this thread by many..we've all been rookies..we all start somewhere...just think about what your doing...these things wont happen...on another note..welcome to the plowers life..and good luck with your business!