1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rookie questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JThompson, Feb 24, 2003.

1. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

This was my first "real" season in the snow biz. (Last year was one account and one storm). As I think about next year I know of a few accounts that I can approach and have a reasonably good chance of landing their snow work. However, these are businesses. Currently I have all condo developments. We bill on the total inches of each storm as reported in the local paper (an independent source). The number of times we plow per storm has been left to us. Should I land these new accounts I am sure they will specify the locations will need to be plowed by a certain time. My concern is that this may interfere with our current system; we may need to go plow the new accounts, come back in, go plow the condos, leave the condos in the middle of the route and do the new one's again, etc. Create a little havoc with scheduling and routing.

This is my thought on billing for this type of account (want it done by a certain time). Billing will be per push. The charge per push will depend upon the number of inches on the ground as measured by us; not on total inches per storm. This will allow us to be compensated for quickly accumulating storms.

One potential problem that concerns me is if they want us to plow every x inches. Is this a common request? How can you be comfortable in agreeing to such a request when precipitation rates can vary greatly?

If these seem like stupid easy rookie questions I apologize. Thanks.

2. DIESELRAM30

DIESELRAM30 Member

I have been plowing for 4 years now and it depends on the account how i charge, for a commercial i normally charge per truck,an example for a 3/4 ton with a 8 foot plow i charge 70.00 an hour, but if you are plowing a complex i would charge up to 4 inches of snow one rate and tack on an additional rate per 2 inches, you just have to figure out how much, hope i could help any more questions contact me.

3. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

For all commercial accounts we charge every 3". (Ex. 12'' storm = 4 pushes. ) Just make sure you have enough help so you don't run behind. You don't want to make a commitment you can't keep...

Rick