1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rookie question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

what is ballest?? and also can u put timbrens on a 91 f-250 there is no coil spring in the frt end just leaf springs and a shock

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Simply put, Ballast = counterweight. Weights in the rear of the truck to balance out the weight that the plowing implement puts on the front end.

Jay

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

ballast is weight that is carried in the rear of the vehicle, like salt/stone/snow/mafia blocks. as for timbrens no they are not available according to my book, but Air-Ride front airbags are available

~Nate~

4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

probaly can the timbrens replace the factory bump stops. so no coil spring shouldnt matter. go to www.timbren.com you can get more info.

5. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

You bet they make timbrens for your truck. The part number is FF2504. They should be as easy as unbolting your bump stop, and replacing it w/ the timbren. Ballast is weight in the back of the truck, best if positioned behind the axle. Make sure you properly secure it (Don't just rely on the little red bungy
    :D ) Good Luck:salute:

6. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

what do recomend for ballest besides bags of salt which will be used up as u go??

7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Cement weight blocks, bricks anything with that weighs a good amount and doesnt take up too much of your space.

Jay

8. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

bags of tube sand, steel plates, concrete, kitchen sink... anything heavy will work for ballast...

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I find that 3 - 60 quart tupperware totes filled with water works good, let them freeze and they weigh about 300# each second choice would be a few sheets of ½" steel plate

10. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Indeed they make the Timbrens for his truck as others posted. My preference for ballast is a salt pallet in the salt truck or a spare pallet in the other truck.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I used to use a few tree trunks for ballast. Now I use a Vbox and two yards of sand.:D