1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rookie question, but...

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by RedArrow, May 6, 2011.

1. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

I have a Chevy 2500HD and have the factory install switch on the dash for the roof. I would like to utilize this wiring instead or wires bouncing around the cab and plugged into the cig lighter; however, I would like to do a magnetic mount on a mini light bar that can be removed in the off season. Can this be done? and what is the easiest way to get it done? Thanks:confused:

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yes it can be done. Take the 3rd break light out. Above the drivers side on the back of the cab the wires will be rolled up above the headliner. Take a coat hanger and fish them out. Figure out which wire is hot and which is ground. It can be done with a test light when the switch is turned on. Once you have which wire is what get a set of butt connectors with the heat shrink ends and crimp them onto the wires. Get yourself a quick disconnect like this. Or a Weather pack connector (something waterproof). The just make your connection at the bar the same way you did on the trucks side. Again use heat shrink butt connectors. Make sure the hot wires are on the same side as one another otherwise it wont work. Also make sure the hot end on the truck side of the plug has the rubber coating over is so if it gets bumped on it wont short out. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

plrconn_LG.jpg