1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rookie plower, toyota 4 runner, advice, sno way

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TJ4runner, Nov 29, 2003.

1. TJ4runner

TJ4runner Junior Member
    from OHIO

Hello. I've had a 90' 4 runner (4 X 4) for 3 years now and am getting a used 96 sno-way plow (with the down pressure). I have a couple questions. I hope you can help me with. My truck goes like mad in the snow and mud. I have oversize 31" tires (no lift) and rancho shocks, 120k miles, but have replaced the wheel bearings, brakes, and fuel tank, flushed the rad.. The V-6 is clean, tranny has no leaks. Here's my questions.

1) I've heard of clearance problems with a sno-way plow. Any advice on bolt on components to give me some xtra height? I saw these rubber bumpers that bolt on. Are they any good? Do you think I'll have Clearance problems with my 31" tires.

2) Any advice to plow residential drives would be helpful. Plow the center, then the sides? Backdrag VS Pushing? How deep is too deep?

3)Has anyone ever put a sno-way plow on? I have to tear it off another truck next week, and then put it on mine. I "think" it just bolts right on. I'll find out next week when I take it down.

4)Any recommendations for the bolt "class" I should use to mount this puppy?

5) What's a decent strobe for the money? I saw a 1,000,000 candle power strobe in JC whitney, I want something bright but don't want to kill my battery.

6) Will my standard alternator handle the power load?

7) Anybody have tranny heat problems with 4 runners when plowing?

I know it's a lot of questions, just eager to get it right and not get stranded. Thanks for your responses!!!
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  2. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

A lot of the questions you are asking would have a better chance getting answered in the foreign truck forum. After reading this answer just scroll down (without changing the page) and you will see "Forum Jump". Use the drop down and go to the Foreign Truck discussion thread.