1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rookie plower, Seasoned gear help....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bowhuntr86, Sep 7, 2008.

1. bowhuntr86

bowhuntr86 Junior Member

Hey guys im a carpenter from wisconsin i Own a 1994 GMC Sierra 1500 x-cab 350 TBI Auto/4 I just recently purchased an older Western plow for $200 off a International scout. the plow is 8' and it has Cable controlled Up/Down Left/Right. and well I'm kinda stumped on how to mount the plow to the truck any sugg. and also the controls being older is there an upgrade avail? Do i need a solenoid for my system and also my truck is it going to be able to handle the blade/Weight etc. like i said guys im new at this i need all the help i can get any sugg. are appreciated. Thanks ussmileyflag
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Welcome to the Site, and to the Plowing game.

I'm going to try to help you out. But your going to want to hear what B&B has to say also!

The old Cable Controll, would be with the "T" handle box/ Control. and no there would be no upgrades you could do.

Yes, I think the Truck will be find with that plow, as long as you watch what you do and might have to make some small upgrades to your truck.

Mount, You could try to find one, but it being that old of a plow you might be building a mount.

If Money is tight and you have the time and tools build it and make it work.
    If you got some money and want a nice setup I would try to buy something newer, a $1000.00 will get you along way on this
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Western did make conventional mounts for your body style truck. Might want to search around before digging into a custom made project one first.

With the correct rear ballast and a little front suspension work the truck is "capable" of carrying the plow. Search around here in the Chevy forums, use keywords such as:

Those search words will provide you hours of reading...:waving: