1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rookie hose repair

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by timbow, Dec 12, 2010.

1. timbow

timbow Junior Member

I'm a care taker for my church and only plow that couple acre lot and a few elderly folk's driveways. While on my rounds today I blew an angle hose on my 8' straight blade. I am probably better at cleaning toilets than hydraulic repair (actually I know this). What do I need to keep in mind while attacking this repair? Fluid replacement, priming, tightening, etc?? Should I be carrying spare [fill in the blank]? I appreciate having this forum to research - it makes life easier.
  2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Some people carry spares, but you have to know what you're doing when you play with hydraulics.

It's far cheaper to go to a place that services farm equipment and have a hose made there, than to buy on from a plow dealer.
  3. elecblu

elecblu Member

Our local NAPA dealer also makes hoses.
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Get the size and length of the hose at a patrs store some hand tools and 5 minutes you should have it on, top of the pump and run the plow a few times to get any air out of the lines and to check for leaks.
    Yes carry a spare hose and fluid with you

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

It comes on and off with just some simple wrenches. Bring the hose in when you want another one made. When you get your new one, put some teflon tape on the threads of the hose and start at the cylinder when replacing it. The thread it onto the top of the valve body. Add some hydro fluid and you'll be good to go. Nothing to it.
  6. timbow

timbow Junior Member

That's what I was hoping to hear! "Nothing to it". My dad used to pay my brother to be good, but I was always good for nothing - I can handle this. Thanks fellas.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

dont forget to carry wrenches along with the spare hose....lol
  8. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

You might want to do what I did when setting up my tool set for plowing. Go over your plow from top to bottom and write down every size wrench you could possibly use on it. Then put 2 of every one in your tool box. Like said, have a spare hose, spring, and bolts with you at all times- you never know when it's gonna happen. Don't forget the T-tape. Would be even better if you taped them ahead of time- much nicer that trying to do it in the cold & dark.
  9. elecblu

elecblu Member

Also make sure the blade is down and all tension off of the cylinders before removing any hoses.
  10. Indy

Indy Senior Member

double check all of your hoses, if it was due to age, you may have another one lurking.

Just check them for wear, from rubbing up against metal.

The fluid will self bleed itself, super easy to deal with.

Good luck.