1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rookie here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bryanR, Oct 18, 2009.

1. bryanR

bryanR Member

hey guys im new to this plowing business but i have always wanted to plow since i was a little kid and now that i am legal to drive im ready to plow this winter. im just having trouble finding a truck that can help me get started. ive been looking for dodge 1500/2500 and i keep finding a couple here and but they get taken before i even can call the guy. any tips on how to get started. thanks!

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Before I go any further,,,Are you 18?

3. bryanR

bryanR Member

17. im only go to do residential stuff. nothing huge yet

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

My best advice though I'm sure I'll get bashed by many on here, for killing the dreams of America's youth, is to wait a year, in the mean time get on someone local's crew to learn about the biz.

Waiting until your 18 will most importantly make you a legal adult and not leave your parents open to any legal liabilty you may incur. At your age you can't technically enter a legally binding agreement, such as getting your own INSURANCE.

There are just too many variables that are beyond your control, between being a minor, being a newly licensed driver, being in school, etc etc etc, I fully support your ambition but I'm offering what I think is good advice.
    Go head guys start beating me over the head for making kids cry. :)

5. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

chris completely agree with you, i worked for a local company in my area untill i was 19 and had the client base to do it on my own, i started plowing when i was 16 with them and i learned a lot about the snow industry, when i was 18 i finally had them money to buy a plow for my truck and did one winter as a sub and then moved out into my own. good luck finding insurance nobody would touch me untill i was eighteen, and then when i was 18, i had a hard time finding gen liab. cause i was a new company...

6. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

A wise man once said "listen to your elders!" That was the best possible advice anyone could have given him, unless mom or dad wants to get into the business with him. Bryan, what I would do is find a plow operator who has been in business for awhile and ask to go out and ride with one or more of their drivers during a couple of snow events. TRUE...for most of us it's fun....but don't kid yourself, it's long hours, without sleep, fixing equipment in the cold, driving in the worst conditions possible, with the dumbest of all possible drivers. Hell, now that I think about it, why do I keep doing it after 34 years?????

7. bryanR

bryanR Member

whats the best way to go about and find someone that id be able to go along with?

8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

wow 2 for 2,,,whewww.....thought i was gonna need a helmet for this one but maybe not.:blush2:

Your best bet would be find someone that you or your family knows that is involved in the business, ask around.

9. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm just glad he asked someone first Chris...but I gotta ask, does the blackberry really help. My guys go out with route sheets, and come back with them dated and with their time and and out listed. I have been thinking about a blackberry for a couple of reason though. If the list is too long, drop me a PM if you can. Thanks

10. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

O i fully agree gramp just joking around a lil,,,,PM sent about the Blackberry.

11. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

don't you have to be 18 to plow for a company also??

12. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

i figure if its someone he knows, they can ake him under the wing,,and even if he's running a blower or shoveling,,,its a good way to get used to A) the lifestyle, and B) learn some aspects of the job.

13. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

when i was 17 i couldn't use a truck or any equipment only a shovel

14. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

depends on the company i guess... i ran a plow truck at 16

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

For your first year get a blower and get a few clients.
    Do a GOOD job and start your plowing career next year.
    Insurance would kill you being so young.

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I started plowing comercialy when I was 16. If people will hire you go for it IMO.

17. bryanR

bryanR Member

well right now my friend and i did a landscaping business over the summer. and the way things are looking we would have around 15 clients. we both have snow blowers and he already has a plow. i have been snow-blowing my neighbors driveways for years and i have been with my friend who plowed before he moved to texas. but i might wait a year

18. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

BryanR,
    I highly COMMEND you for even taking what was said into consideration, most of the people who come on with a question like yours, YOUNG or OLD, already know damn well they are gonna plow driveways come hell or high water, intelligently or stupidly, before they even ask, and no matter what is said they move forward with that decision, seems you got a decent head on your shoulders kid.

19. bryanR

bryanR Member

well i know that you guys know way more then i do about plowing, and i've learned over the years to listen to the people who do these sorts of things for a living. i figure this year ill hook up with someone who will be plowing and ill ask if i can go along. and maybe if i can find a deal ill get a plow and practice on my driveway. but this year will most definitely be my learning year and then when i'm old enough ill get proper insurance and hopefully my friend and i will be able to get a strong business going

20. heavychevy01

heavychevy01 Member

If you are truly intrested and want to do it, check craigslist. I know my local listings always have a company or two looking for help during the winter either driving or sidewalk crews. Best of luck to ya!