1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rookie help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jlong, Nov 8, 2008.

1. jlong

jlong Junior Member

I messed up this year. I was promised a good number of hour work as a sub contractor for the year for anotr company. So I went and bought a used plow...I was planning on expanding into snow removal at some point just not this year. Anyway long story short is after I buy the Plow a couple weeks later when I press them it seems there is now guranteed sub work for me. :cry: :dizzy: anyway I was asked to bid a couple small resturants in town one is about n 8000 sq. ft. lot the other is a 24000 sq ft lot. anyway I can handle the snow removal of the lots and the limited sidewalks. However I'm lost with the Ice melt...What should I use to spread it and how far will bags generally go. I would like to buy a tailgate spread but am on a tight budget. I have a nice push spreader for the side walks (retiered from the fert side of business). and I even thin it could be used for the whole 8000 sq. ft lot. but the 24k lot is a different story.

So: How far will a bag of icemelt go? (lesco said theirs would cover 3k-3.5k)
    would you use a push spreader on a 24k lot if you had only limited work this season?

MAR4CARS Senior Member

If i was in your situation i would consider subbing out someone with a sander.
  3. jlong

jlong Junior Member

ok,,,but as for the sidewalks... I know it varries by product but what is a general rule of thumb when calculating how much per foot or 1000 square feet.
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

becareful, most customers prefer ice melt that isnt sodium chloride on their sidewalks
  5. jlong

jlong Junior Member

yes, redman I was going to quote the mag chloride or calcium cloride
  6. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Roughly I use a bag of calcium to 2k-3k sq ft. on walks.

I have used a 50# spreader to do large lots in an emergency. (I've even spread out of a bucket or the bag.) It's no fun, but a spreader you already own vs. a $700 or more tailgate spreader would be a tough call. I'm guessing in KS, you don't get too many storms a year. If you try a couple of storms with the push spreader, you would raise some cash, but you might figure there's not enough storms left in the year to bother with a new tailgater.

If I were in your spot, (I'm fairly young and energetic, and for two lots on my first year) I'd seriously consider using the push spreader you own.

In my case, it's easy to justify buying the new spreader. I make most of my money on the salt, so it doesn't take long to pay for a spreader. I can pay for a nice tailgate spreader with 2 storms.
  7. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

We average about 23 to 25 spreading events here in Kansas City. So if you are any where close id buy a tailgate spreader or find a sub. Its worth the money because we get good money salting here.