1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rookie.........expert/experienced thoughts...........

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by southsideone, Oct 16, 2006.

1. southsideone

southsideone Member

new to plowing. looking to strictly do residential first season, central wi. undecided about using contracts or per push. strictly driveway plowing, no salting nor shoveling, just driveway.
    equip:
    02 6cyl. explorer 4wd, tranny cooler, "good mechanical condition"
    7.5 snowman pull plow (w/ ext tips)
    having absolutely zero plow experience, for a (1) driveway measuring 20wx100L, w/ approx. 5" snow, how long could this potentially take? obviously trying to guage how many could be done per hour, probably within a 4 mile radious.
    possibly charge $350 flat fee for season
    1-3" $35 per push
    4-6" $50
    7-9" $75
    10"+ could i even really do it w/ my setup......
    any thoughts, thx, steve

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Not with out a front plow. A rear plow is used in conjuction with the front plow.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

is that what you have or what you want to buy..dont put that out as your price because youll get someone with a mile and ahlf driveway and want those prices your prices seem good for about give or take a 100' driveway. No salting or shoveling?????

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

didnt see the pull part thought it was a front but yeah youll 100% need one and a back plow is not nessesary and youd be better off without the weight or extra cash spent on it

5. southsideone

southsideone Member

DBL- is that what you have or what you want to buy..dont put that out as your price because youll get someone with a mile and ahlf driveway and want those prices your prices seem good for about give or take a 100' driveway. No salting or shoveling?????

i have the explorer, will be ordering the plow soon
    when you say 100' driveway, do you mean total sq. ft.? please explain
    no salt/shoveling for the fact that this is my first season and don't want to over extend myself, want to keep it simple

DBL-didnt see the pull part thought it was a front but yeah youll 100% need one and a back plow is not nessesary and youd be better off without the weight or extra cash spent on it

sorry, i don't understand what you mean

i know my options w/ an explorer are very limited as far as equip, could you possibly recommend some other setup.....

thx, steve

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

first a 7.5' wide pull plow is a bit much a V6 explorer. 6.5' is about it. Now for front plows. Blizzard 680LT/720LT, fisher homesteader/western surbanite, or a snoway (not a personal favorite of mine)

Pull plows are designed to pull snow way from the garage door and short driveways. Usually just enough for the length of the truck. Stop backup. Then drop the front plow and keep pushing. Which is why they where designed to be used inconjuction with a front plow. Saves time on backdragging. A pull plow is really usless by it self. Since you can't stack with it nor place snow with it.

7. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

He means a 100' long driveway, not sq ft.

There's not a lot of plow options for the Explorer, but he's saying not to go with a rear backdrag plow as it will be useless in your situation.

I don't like to shovel, but you have to do what yu have to do. IF there is a garage door, you'll have to get out to shovel a foot in front of the bay to make it nice and neat, unless the homeowners don't mind doing that sort of thing after you're gone.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're probably going to want to put a lightweight plow, like a 6' to 6.5' straight blade on the front. I wouldn't bother with a backplow at this point. My suggestion would be to get 5 or 6 driveways like the one you're talking about there for this year. Try to keep them all within a 4 or 5 mile radius. Since you have "absolutely zero plow experience", it's going to take you quite a bit longer than if you had a couple winters behind you. Even with those 5 or 6, you can expect it to be several hours. You're going to find travel time to take about three times what you expected.

Make sure you mark all obstacles and things to avoid so there's no guessing with snow on the ground in the dark.

Plan, Plan and Plan some more. How are you going to approach each job. How is the route set up? Plan for various scenarios. Where are you going to stack snow? How are you going to make each push so the snow winds up where you want it. How are you planning for future snows? Have you planned for melting so the snow doesn't run across the driveway, road or into a building? Have you practiced backdragging? How are you going to keep snow from garage/house walls and doors? Do you have backup for when you get behind? Do you have someone to call when you break down or get stuck?

And to think, some guys just run out, buy a plow, start pushing snow around and wonder "What went wrong?".

9. onelegdan

onelegdan Junior Member

i am new and dumb too.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

plow on the front is way more versitile than a pull plow its what you want you can do driveways lots clear snow way more than a pull plow. most driveways are the same width i was getting at length with a 100'

11. southsideone

southsideone Member

Snow Blowing..........

thx to all for the input......

after some thought into this, i'm opting instead to offer a snow blowing service.
    i've known that an explorer is absolutely by no means a work vehicle. And as this being my first season, snowblowing should provide a much lower cost risk vs.contract plowing (vehicle durability, plow price, customer b.s., etc.) as opposed to purchasing some shovels and snowblower and providing good work.

now w/ providing a snowblowing service, i'm looking to charge around $100 per hour
    i plan on offering salting also, though i haven't figured out a method to charge? any help w/ this?
    thx again to everyone

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  12. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

might be kinda hard to service enough accounts as snowblowing is slow

13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

doing driveways youll be fine but charge by the driveway not the hour because some people with haggle with you about how long youre there. youll probably be able to get 50# bags of salt for about $6 so charge $26 to spread it

14. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Snow blowing works well in retirement communities. Especially with 75 + yr olds. They all get nervous of a heart attack so they want it cleared just in case. I hate saying it, but it's true. Look for some retirement communities and see what happens. Get 1 or 2 good shovels, a decent blower and your in business.

Also, they are loyal customers. They pay on time and all they want is good, reliable service. At least mine do. I have 2 blocks in a retirement community. $25 a house. Includes driveway and walkway, just go to one after the other...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  15. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

I try to mix my clients, 65% contracts 35% per push or somewhere around that. That way you have guaranteed cash flow for the light snow years and also have a little win fall if you get a heavy snow year.

I don't know what other do