1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rookie 3 plug install on a '02 GMC 2500HD - no headlights?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Jan 6, 2013.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

OK, so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong, and can use a few suggestions on how to trouble shoot. Bought a used wiring setup off CL, so I'll admit that may be the problem, but this is my first install too so... I've gone through the instructions I found online for 8437-1 completely except hooking DS turn signal wire and the marker light circuit for now. Used an add a circuit to power the controller like suggested elsewhere within the site.

Problem - If I turn the truck to ign, I get power to the controller but cannot get any headlights on truck or plow. If I leave key off, I get normal headlights on the truck (except PS low is not coming on, but I'm guessing I knocked it around too much when reinstalling it). No DRL under either scenario (I first tried it without hooking them up and had this issue so hooked up its blue wire to the pink plow side wire but no change). There is also an indicator lit on the dash, but forgot to check the book to see if it was hi-beam or something else. I did check and it did not go away when trying to turn on/off hi-beams. I'm assuming thats related... Any suggestions?

Pump is dry so can't say for sure but it sounded like the solenoids were clicking so hoping that side of the wiring is OK. (This MM1 setup was put together from my old blade, bare upright, spare set of headlights and pump off CL).

Thanks!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hook everything up and try it. It NEEDS the parking/marker lights to function properly. I'm guessing you didn't read the instructions well enough to understand how the system works:cool:

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

oh my,,,,you need to ck fishers or westerns website....your in deep water here.
    but first off hook up the parking light wire, and the turn wires. take bashers advise,,,read the install instructions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Park lights, and +/- configuration.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Maybe, lets see if they work first, the truck works OK so I would think the polarity is correct.

6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

OK - I only stopped where I was since I usually like to test the progress of things before I 100% "button everything up" and then find there is a problem and have to tear it all back apart. Since I knew I wasn't completely done, I made sure to call that out in my post in case that was a problem. You (and others) have said it is, so I appreciate your help and will splice that in tonight and report back.

Ouch, guess you are living up to your handle...:laughing: Just asking for :help: and clearly stating this is my first time. I absolutely do NOT understand 100% how the system works. But reading the installation instructions won't fully do that either, which is why they have all the other manuals which I haven't read yet. One step at a time... When you buy something, do you usually read the 10 pg installation instructions first, or the 100 page direction/usage manual? wesport

Thanks guys! :mechanic:

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Let me interject something here...before buying it; probably not. Before installing it; absolutely. To each his own, I see many guys get knee deep in something, then come out worse then they started...I've been there and done that. For your situation...it's not a big deal, this is all simple stuff. Well, your particular problem anyway. Not everyone understands the way these things work...I'll be the first to admit that there is still some gray areas for me, and I've been toying with these for awhile now. But I digresses, IMO, everyone should pickup the instructions and give it a once through before starting :nod:

8. dieselss

Agreed,,, example. I can do automotive....I can't do house stuff. I ask or read all about what it is I'm doing first. I didn't cut the floor tile first and then ask why it don't fit?? And ill say only 10 pages of reading that ain't bad at all

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Guys, I'm not trying to start a pissing match, or say that I am without some fault. I did read the install instructions at least twice in their entirety before starting, and I agree 10 pages isn't bad. I clearly said "I've gone through the instructions ... completely except hooking DS turn signal wire and the marker light circuit for now." In other words, I know I'm not done, but I'm having an issue. This could be caused by (A) not finishing the install, which you all have pointed out, (B) an issue with the condition of the ISO/wiring since it was bought used or (C) the way I had hooked up something to that point. I thought A was a low likelihood and assumed it was B or C and wanted to stop there before wasting any time moving forward if for example I was going to have to rip something back out and replace a wire etc. It isn't like the instructions say clearly if you don't hook up the parking lamp wire the headlights and DRL won't work and I was ignoring that...

I usually read the operating instructions AFTER the installation instructions have been read and performed. The operation manual is probably more like 30 pgs, and I personally find it more useful to be able to perform the instructions while I go through the ops manual, so if it says pushing the raise button lifts the plow, I like to perform that procedure as that helps me remember it more than just reading it. To find that the parking circuit needs to be complete I'd probably have to read the mechanic guide or something more anyway, not the normal operating manual.

To each his own preference :drinkup:, and I think we can let this die as is and I'll report back if I have issues after finishing the installation including the DS turn wire and parking light. See you in 12 hours :)

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

My apologizes, I didn't mean to come across harshly, if that's the way you took it. Look forward to hearing to results.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I read it all particularly the theory of operation. I want to know how it works so when it doesn't I can fix it.

Just to be an ***:laughing: I believe they tell you to complete installation before testing.

I apologize if I sound harsh and for missing the critical "except PS low" that is an indication you also have to switch the configuration which I think they mention in the install instruction as well. Sorry repoman207 I missed that:salute:

12. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

You know, when I wrote that line, I thought that exact thing to myself, so I'm glad you didn't miss a shot :rolleyes: :gunsfiring:

Hmm - I could be mistaken, but even if that was the case wouldn't it still work fine when the plow wasn't powered (the way that the other low headlight and both high beams work fine)? I.e. wouldn't neither of them work? I apologize, I'm not sure since I didn't ready the other manual yet :laughing:

I'll pick up a bulb on the way home tonight just in case - I didn't realize the entire headlight comes out with just those little L clips, so I had popped the bulb out in order to get the plug off on that side.

13. dieselss

Nope. The plow lights work off each of the tk lights now so if one is off,,,high, low, pass, drivers side ..only that affected plow light will be affected

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You're probably right. a quick continuity check will tell you about the bulb. Chase these issues every day you learn to distrust coincidence.:salute:

15. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Argh, a step (or two) backward... I spliced in the brown wire for the marker lights and the purple wire to the DS signal light.
    - Now I have NO headlights, even with key off.
    - Still no DRL at any point.
    - The light on the dash is the high-beam light, which is still on...
    - Markers and turn signals work fine on truck and plow.

In the interest of full disclosure, I forgot to pick up a low beam bulb on my way home...:blush2:

Any suggestions welcome :realmad:

16. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

PS - I'll go back and reread the section about switching polarity while I await some feedback, but I did see the harness coming off a '01-'02 truck, though I can't say for sure it was working as I didn't witness that...

17. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

FYI - truck side high beams work with key off when I pull the stalk to "flash" them...

Gonna sit in bed and read the electrical schematic/troubleshooting :(

18. dieselss

make sure you lights are switched either pwr or gnd.
    i thought there was a harness for gms and there drls
    double ck all the gnds.

19. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

When I do the eMatch, it says light kit 8437-1. When I look that up via eSearch, it says that harness kit includes:
    26360-1 - long harness for HB3/HB4-A headlights
    26361-1 - short harness for HB3/HB4-A headlights
    26357 - 11 pin vehicle wiring harness
    27781 - light green label iso module
    Battery adapter and dust cover

No mention of a separate DRL harness, but I've been wrong before... The blue wire of the DRL is spliced into the pink wire in the plow harness just to make sure I followed the directions to avoid potential problems, but I don't care if the DRL's work per se as long as the regular truck and plow headlights work as intended.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  20. dieselss

Ok I get the drls not working. So make sure you have the proper polarity per your tks lights. And again ck your gnd for the plowside.
    So the harness you bought...is that the one you have??