1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

roofs?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by thelandyman, Feb 2, 2008.

1. thelandyman

thelandyman Junior Member

so i have a friend who has asked me to clear the snow off of her roof, also her 2 neighbors need it to. ive never done it before, is this hard? how much should i charge? what equipment should i use? any input is good, thanks guys.

2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Are they one or two story?

3. thelandyman

just 1 story residential houses

4. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

shovel down lol.....(you'd be amazed that habit would get the best of you by accidentally going against the roof) Also, realize that depending were the snow lands..(driveway/porch/front entrance or any place of obstructions) you'll need to move it again. Charge accordingly...(hourly would be your best bet min of a certain amount depending on size). Gauge the roof, does it have alot of valley's in it, are they steep, sky lights in the way, objects around the landing of the snow. It's physical labor, you won't really be able to use more then just a shovel...(those little snow-blowers look like they would be the ticket, but again you don't wanna damage the roof). At the VERY minimum I would say 200-250 (1.000sqft) bucks depending on amount of snow as well. (think of it this way an electrician gets anywhere between 55-85 bucks to change out a light switch) Your doing a high volume of work.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  5. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Start at the bottom of the roof and push off (gravity is your friend), work your way to the top. Do not take all the snow off, leave a couple inches on to protect the shingles and insulate the house. Cleanup drive, deck, walkway when finished. Snow on the ground to cleanup will be the hardest part of clearing a roof.

6. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Plowinpro nailed it,

7. thelandyman

well how much should i charge for an 1800 sq ft. one story house? i will have another guy doing this with me.

8. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Id say between 400 and 500 depending on do you have to shovel the snow twice? meaning once its off the roof can you get at it with any equipment or can it just stay there?

9. thelandyman

nope i can just get it off the roof and leave it, how long do these jobs normally take?

10. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

What kind of equipment do you have?

11. thelandyman

well i got shovels, and home depot is making me a roof rake only becuase EVERYONE is sold out.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  12. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Well with the "Goon Spoons" Id be inclinded to chasrge around the 400-500 mark but once again how many sides do you have to shovel once the snow is on the ground? The other thing is how cold is it where you are? and how long has it been cold? Roof snow tends to be very HEAVY so thats another thing to take in to consideration

13. thelandyman

it stays around 15-30 degrees, and for just getting it off the roof, can you estimate a time frame?

14. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

How much snow on the roof? How many guys?

15. thelandyman

about 1 foot, 2 guys

16. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Id count on 8hrs

17. thelandyman

wow ok, then ill go for $500 ; )

18. ECS

ECS Senior Member

February 2006, I called a crew in to do a property roof for me. Roughly 2000 sq feet of roof. All snow went onto deck. Roof had anywhere from 6" on the peak, 4' half way to 5' along the eve. Crew of 11 had the roof done, deck cleared (1000 sq ft) in about 3 hrs. Shovels on roof, shovels & snow blower on deck.

19. thelandyman

ECS what did they charge if i may ask?

20. ECS

ECS Senior Member

If I remember right it was just over $2k. I only had them do the north side of the roof as the south only had about 15" on it.