1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

roof top beacon lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOBKAT, Jan 27, 2003.

1. BOBKAT

BOBKAT Junior Member
    from NH

Hi I am new to the forum and still stumbling around the site.

I have not seen a easy way to login and out, I have been going through new posts to get to a login / logout button.

Still looking for help with my roof top beacon plow light.

I am trying to get information on the roof top beacon light wiring for a 2003 chevy. Any one out there with a 2003. I have the switch in the dash next to the air bag switch, the switch led lights, but can't get power to the brown and gray wires I found above the headline. The 2003s are different than what is shown on the gmupfitter information site.
    thanks

bobkat

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not too sure on your truck,but a lot of them come with the relay or fuses not installed.You may have to put a relay or fuse in to get it to work.

3. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Check for a fuse, most likely it's not there or it's blown. If not, call the dealer or stop by, 2 minutes at the service desk and you should be all set. 2003, still covered, let the dealer worry about it, just be cautious when they change your OIL....

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Just like I said in the other forum, check the fuse to see if it is there or if it is blown. If the fuse is ok, then bring your truck to your dealer and have them fix the problem. You bought the truck. It is still under warranty. You paid for it. Let your dealer fix it, not you.

5. pcopley

pcopley Junior Member
    from ohio

dealer told me if your 2003 chevrolet has no power there is a bypass harness that needs to be installed. chances are your truck was manufactured prior to september 2002

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

BOBKAT said the switch LED lights up, which to me would mean the switch is getting power, no? So the problem has to be elsewhere, no? The switch operates on a fused power circuit, no? My guess would be a disconnected wire or relay elsewhere, like others said.

~Chuck

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

BOBKAT

Go to the top of the page here, and click on "Profile".

On the next page that comes up, click on "User Options"

The second choice on the next page, has "Save Log In and Password". Make sure the "Yes" box is checked. Then you won't have to log in. You are logged in autiomatically when you come to PlowSite. You are logged out automatically after a set period of time (which I can't remember at the moment).

~Chuck

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not sure exactly on that truck,but most circuits like that have a small fuse,or share a fuse to power the switch and indicator light,which triggers the relay,and a separate fuse,circuit breaker or fusible link to power the load side of the relay.Some switches can even have a built in relay.

Do you hear a "click" at all when you turn the switch on ?

9. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

on my 2001 2500HD I have the smat thing. the button or switch is located just under radio to the right, correct? There is power to it.

There is also wires runnnig to and from it and a relay.
    I have a light bar on a back rack. I wired about 6 feet of extra wire to the light, took it to my dealer, and for $30, they did the rest. Yes, I could have saved $30 and did it myself, but I saw them pull out the panel behind the drivers seat, and only thought of the cheap plastic clips I would break taking it out and re-installing it.

They did the work in a half of an hour. well worth the money to me, not to mention when I finally learned what this switch was for and what it could do it was 20 degrees outside. Another reason why I took it to the heated dealer

10. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

Snowmatt, what is that switch used for? I have 02 with same switch and just curious..thanks

11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BOB.....Still no power huh ? I don't think GM would
    change the set up or wire color. But who knows
    did ya ask the dealer? Do you have a x-cab or
    reg cab ? If you have a reg cab pull off the
    plastic piece on the LEFT rear corner pillar by the back
    window...Thats where the Relay for aux light switch
    is. You can trace the wires from there.
    If ya push the button you can hear the click !
    If ya got a ex-cab ya gotta pull the rear seat to
    pull off the seatbelt anchor and plastic on left rear
    pillar. PIA ! Did ya check the fuse in the underhood
    fuse center ? Its a 30 amp fuse marked SEO 2.

12. sonjaab

13. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

Thanks, I always wondered what that switch was for.....

14. BOBKAT

BOBKAT Junior Member
    from NH

roof top beacon

Roof top light works great now. I took the truck to the dealer, since it was a 2003. It was one of the first 2003s I purchased it in August. The problem with the roof top light wiring was a missing wire from the factory. When the truck was built they missed a couple of wires one between the relay and dash switch. The other was a wire for the fog lights. They both work now. It does make me wonder what else could be missing.

I put a watertight receptacle on the back of the cab and a plug on my magnetic mount beacon. This is a good arrangement for me, I can take it on and off easily.
    This is my first short bed truck and it is much easier to turn around with the plow or boat. I am a little concerned about what I think is the cold start knock. It just started at about 1400 miles. GM is saying it is not a problem only an annoying noise. Time will tell.

Thanks all for the input on the roof top light problem.

bobkat

15. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

QUOTE]I put a watertight receptacle on the back of the cab and a plug on my magnetic mount beacon.[/QUOTE]

what did you use and where did you get it?

can you post a picture?

thanks

john

16. sonjaab

KAT......Glad ya got it fixed ! I knew that GM upfitter
    site couldn't be wrong ! That cold start knock....
    Mine has it ..just make sure you COMPLAIN to dealer
    and get it documented..Just in case ! Mine only
    knocks when freezing in winter......Quiet as a church
    mouse in summer tho......But ya know what KILLS ME,
    My Caddy motor is quiet no matter what !

Fast......I just took off the upper door striker on my x-
    cab..gently pulled the headliner down a bit and fished
    out the aux. light wires........I put 2 female plug ends
    on them and 2 males on my magnetic beacon light.
    I just lead the beacon wires inside the door jamb and
    plug in when needed ! When not ..I just tuck the 2
    female ends up in the headliner. I got the stuff at my
    local auto supply house...................geo

Last edited: Feb 14, 2003