1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

roof switch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dlcs, Dec 4, 2011.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Can I connect a couple of spinner lights to the roof becaon switch on my 2011 hd? how many amps can it handle safely or shoudl i use a relay. Usually i use a relay when puttign in my own toggle switch, what does eveyone else do?
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

play it safe, use a relay
  3. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

That switch is connected to a relay. No reason to double relay. Just hook your hot and ground to the wires provided. They are pretty beffy 12gauge I think. Should be good for atleast 30amps. The really is eithr under the hood or behind the panel in the door jam
  4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I can't seem to find the relay, maybe I should ask the dealer where it is. If it already has a relay, like was said before, there is no reason to add another, but want to make sure.
  5. haysaver

haysaver Junior Member

Just did mine. wire and relay are up in the headliner by the switch. go to GM UPFITTER.COM and it tells how to do it. You have to pull down the map light and plug in the wire to the switch.
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Stopped by the dealer this afternoon. They looked it up and the roof becon switch looks to be wired up with the headlights/foglights using the same relay. I don't think I'm goign to hook my spinner lights directly to it, goign to use another relay. I don't want to pull too many amps on that circuit and cause problems.
  7. haysaver

haysaver Junior Member

If you have the plow prep package and the switch up center in the headliner by the map lights, the relay and wire is there. Its a 30 amp circuit. JMO.
  8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Sounds like my dealer was wrong and you were right.

Emergency Roof-Mounted Lamp Switch
    This provision includes an over head console mounted switch , a relay,
    and wiring which terminates at the roof as coiled blunt cut wires – Option
    TRW. There are two blunt cut 12-gauge (3.0 mm2) wires, one is Dark
    Green (roof-mounted lamp power), it is controlled by the over head
    console -mounted switch through the relay, the other is Black (ground).
    The Dark Green power wire is protected by the 30-Amp S/ROOF fuse
    #33 which is located in the Underhood Electrical Center.
  9. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

so would two 35 Watt lights be too much for this circuit?
  11. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I hooked mine up, extended the wires throught the head liner and out the bottom of the third brake light with a double plug connector. If you check out the gm up fitter website it explains everything No relay needed.
  12. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I'm not a liscensed electrician but this is what Im thinking. The 2 lights would equal 70w. On a 12v system that is equivelant to 5.8amps. If the circuit allows 30amps that's good, but you need to find out what else is on that circuit; ie. map light, dashboard lights, radio, etc... All of these combined should NOT go over 30amps or you'll keep blowing fuses. Basically, you add up all the wattage and divide by 12v. That gives you amperage. I'm a little rusty on all that jargon though so I'm sure someone will chime in.
  13. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Sounds sanded and ready for painting.