1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof stobe wire harness '06 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wmsland, Oct 29, 2006.

1. wmsland

wmsland Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Can anyone give me any advice on how to access the harness for the optional roof mount strobe. I want to access it from the inside and not drill a hole in the roof. I already pulled the dome light down and took the roof mount brake light out and can't see any harness (and yes it is equipped with it, part of prep package) . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

You have to pull the headliner to get to it. It is taped to the roof on the drivers side. Simple process. I did not drill a hole in my roof to mount my light, I will post a picture in the morning to show what I did.

3. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

I am looking forward to those pics. Did you order a permanent mount or a magnetic mount?

4. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Magnet mount Sho-Me strobe LED combo.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Lets see if this works.

Regards Mike

brake light notch resized.jpg

6. flykelley

Here is one with the 3rd brale light installed. This pictures doesn't show it but I silcioned around the wire.

Regards Mike

3rd bl installed resized.jpg

7. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Here's what I did. Take a look.

07 HD 606-1.JPG

8. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Closer picture.I drilled through the CHML to get my wire through.

07 HD 607-1.JPG

9. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Here's the lightbar. Take a look, hope this helps.

07 HD 608-1.JPG

10. flykelley

Mine is bolted to a backrack with a packard electric connector.

Regards Mike

11. wmsland

wmsland Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for the help, I will go fishing for it again when I get some extra time.

12. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

If it is a magnetic mount it comes with a cig lighter plug. Do you have it plugged into the cig socket or hardwire it into the harness?

13. wmsland

wmsland Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

This might seem like a stupid question, but can anyone give me a clue as to how to get the coat hooks off so I can drop the headliner.

14. joe b

joe b Junior Member

pull the brake light put your finger around the screw hole on he left. There's no plug just wires taped on the end. I had to put the plug on the dash switch.
    good luck.
    If you still need to pull the head liner . the coat hooks seperate at the hook . hard to explain they work like the plastic rivets

15. flykelley

Yes they are held in with a plastic pin in the center. Use a small flat blade screwdriver and pry the center very carefully. When it pops up a little I used side cutters to carefully grab it and pull it the rest of the way out.

Regards Mike

16. wmsland

wmsland Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for the advice, looks like I won't be doing clean ups tomorrow ( getting a little snow right now, just enough to screw up my schedule ) so I will work on it instead. Thanks again.

17. daplowman

daplowman Member

Okay Guys Here comes the dumb one

I just got my 2500hd, with plow pre package. I am hearing alot of talk about a factory strobe mounted switch.

1. Where is this switch?

2. Is it safe to assume no switch means no wires behind 3rd brakelight.

any other info would be great.

18. flykelley

Da Plowman
    If you got the VYU package which will be listed on the options sticker in the glove box, then you will have snow plow prep. There is a switch on the right side of the dash below the heater controls and off to the right a little. It is a push button with a tiny crappy yellow light that is lite when you push it. The wires are under the headliner on the drivers side, you need to drop the headliner to get to them if you have a ext cab. Areg cab you need to drop the drivers side. I then removed the 3rd brake light and notched the lower metal opening and painted it. I then put a kevlar sleeve on the wire and routed it through that notch. Reinstall the brake light and add a touch of silicon and you are all set to put a weather proof connector on the end and hook up to your light,

Regards Mike

19. daplowman

daplowman Member

awesome

thanks Mike, my truck does have the Aux lighting provision. next question how much of a pain is it to drop that headliner?

20. flykelley

Well a ext cab is harder than a regular cab, you need to take your time. Here is how I did mine but do so at your own risk.

1-remove sun visors and A pillar trim
    2-remove overhead consul, if it is the little one it has 1 screw in the front, rear is held in place by snap clips, just pull down gently
    3- if ext cab remove trim at center door upper latch area.
    4-remove coat hooks.
    5- remove 3rd brake light there are two clips that you can't reach from the inside of the cab, you can squeeze them from this opening.
    There are a number of velcro clips under the roof liner take your time to loosen these or you can tear them from the liner.

Now with all of that said if you don't plan on routing the wire through the 3rd brake light opening you can get to the harness from the drivers side by just removing the coat hook
    and a pillar trim and pull gently down on headliner and you will see the wires taped to the roof.

Good Luck Mike