1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof snow removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 1lowGMC, Jan 17, 2007.

1. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

How much do you guys charge to shovel off roofs? Do you charge by the inch, or by the hour, or the size of the roof. I have heard of people making real good money from shoveling roofs. Also does anyone use a blower to do this. I have heard of some guys hauling a blower on the roof to get it all off.
  2. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

I would think the blades on the auger would catch &wreck shingles,no?
  3. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

I have no idea, thats why I'm asking.
  4. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

No way should you use a blower on a roof. Just a shovel and push it down. Cloride in the gutter and 6-8 inches up th roof. Pricing about 100 to start. Smaller single story ranch.
  5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

snow+ice+sloped elevation=not me
  6. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Thats funny I was thinking the same thing when I read the post.

I work at heights of 60 plus feet in the summer. I am not afraid of heights by any means but I won't work if it's unsafe. No way I am going up on a roof in the winter for any amount of money.

If I was going to do work like this I would get something like this roof rake and do it from the safety of the ground.
  7. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

Originally Posted by DBL
    snow+ice+sloped elevation=not me

Same here. Maybe...if it was a flat roof. I can't even imagine what the insurance company would say about sloped roofs.payup
  8. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

Most (if not all) roof cleanings around here are done with a roof rake.

Perhaps by "blower" they meant a leaf blower?

There was a local add here from a guy with a roof rake, but I cannot recall the price he was asking. I just checked and there is another add from a guy willing to shovel roofs for $40.

This is in Manitoba, Canada.

9. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I made a roof rake. used 5/8by 6inch decking boards and attach that to conduit, Add as many as you need for the length you want. I do it all from the ground unless its like a 4/12 or 6/12 pitch thats basicly flat then I'll get up there. Gives me something to do and make a butt load of cash.
  10. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

I talk to one of my friends that did some roof snow removal, and he said they use a snow blower on the flat roofs, like a kmart, or a store roof that has gravel on top. And they hand shovel most residential roofs. But the said you can make a ton of money. Especialy when we got alot of snow, people were affraid of their roofs colapsing and would pay anything to have it done. He said 200-300 per residential roof, and 1,000-2,000 for big commercial roofs. He also said on a residential roof they would start at the peek and work their way down to the edge this way you get a big pile at the end, and it makes it easier to walk around. And if there is alot of snow, if you fall it's like hitting a matress, and doesn't hurt too much.
  11. PaulT

PaulT Junior Member

I have a roof rake that I use on my little barn (house is a cape, snow doesn't stay there long).

Before I met my wife, she used a little electric snowshovel on the barn roof. Had a nice lightweight one. Unfortunately, her ex took it one day while she was at work. :gunsfiring:

12. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

Roof rakes work best, or a product similar - Roofers use them to remove the snow before getting up on the roof - I've been roofing the last 2 winters when there hasn't been enough snow to remove! You can get them on line or at most roofing supply places. I charge 50 dollars a roof for an average sized home. Anything bigger, I just use my judgement and charge accordingly. Unfortunately here in the great north west, I haven't had any requests for any removal due to lack of snow.:help:
  13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i would like to know more about this anyone with info to share can pm or email me if they wouldnt mind. what kind of boots would you wear for grip up there and not tear up the shingles?

pm for email thanks
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'm a roofer and i've been on a roof almost everyday for the past 11 years. i have only fallen off twice, both times i was shoveling snow off so i could shilgle. be ready to fall because it will happen, you are right in the fact that it doesn't hurt as bad because of the pile of snow you land in. the other factor to look at is that if the people are afraid of the roof falling in do you really want to be up there?? also shovels tear the hell out of the shingles and they really tear the piss out of flat roofs.
  15. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I have been in the roofing trade for 20 years,Shoveling snow off a roof is pretty common in my area.

I usually start at 525.00 and the service is NOT for complete snow removal..If you shovel a roof like a driveway you will tear it up because the shingles are brittle as hell in the cold.Also always rake or push DOWN never push anything up the slope as this will kill the shingle edges and corners.

That electric shovel is ok to use , BUT usually snow removal is asked for when there are ice dams and the house is leaking,,ALSO NEVER EVER put any type of melt on the roof..That will cause leaks in a heart beat ,,

Usually 2 to 3 feet wont hurt a home and can be left alone unless you know a storm will significantly add to it :)
  16. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Roof rakes work great. I use one for this, when doing other jobs, or if a customer wants it done. You can make good money at it.
  17. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

Ok that sounds right to me, I know you can make some real decent money, I guess I don't need to worry about that this year. We dont even have enought a drop a blade.
  18. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

I too have a roof rake,after our 3ft snow dump last week i finally got to use it for the first time.Literally took tons off the house,only thing i did'nt take to well to it was the long handle flexing and bending,when i was trying to make a good stab into the deepness way up there..sure felt it the next day on the shoulders/back with all the new movments/twisting.
  19. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Not sure what to say on this one.

I can't imagine that your insurance would cover any of this---if you fall off or thru a roof, if you hit somebody below with a shovel full...etc.

Might be a great idea in the right place--such as commercials. These are usually flat roofs, but are also usually a rubber bladder design. Have to be careful not to slice a shovel through the roof---even though they're usually covered in gravel.

For residentials, a roof rake seems the way to go, but when you get a good distance away, they're pretty lame because they flex to much----as previously stated here.

Under the right conditions, the ideal situation would be a lift or bucket truck but access would be a pain in the butt.

I think the little power shovel might be ok, but not sure about a blower....even the rubber paddle ones might chew up the roof.

If it were me, I would probably get one of the paddle sweepers that they use on string trimmers. Probably the least chance of damage but I assume limited in performance too. No idea if they work at all though.
  20. TorontoTN

TorontoTN Junior Member
    from Toronto

thats funny while smoking on my back patio i was thinking of that cleaning an salting services for the roof thats entertainment for neighbours ....