1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof snow and ice removal

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by arcticedge, Jul 28, 2009.

1. arcticedge

arcticedge Junior Member

Does anybody know how to go about writing up a contract for roof snow and ice removal? want something simple but not sre how to go about it.

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Same way you would a plowing contract. Just change from plowing driveway to clearing roof.

3. BrewCityTommy

BrewCityTommy Member

Im a new to the forum and business. I dont want topiss anyone off by putting a question in the wrong forum, so I've been very careful not to. It has been my dream to own my own business and I've talked about for years-this year the rubber meets the road- im going to do it!! I will plow, snow blow, shovel, salt, cut grass, trim, basically anything that is maintenance related...Roof clearing is something I've thought about, all you really need is one of those roof brooms right? My question is does this service require a special typr of insurance- you know with ice/snow flying down at you?? And how exactly would you get ice off without climbing up there? Any help from an experienced member-or even not so experienced member would be greatly appreciated. Anything about pricing would be extremely beneficial to me- i have the equipment, now i need the accounts. I intended on starting off slow, but i managed to get a commercial account! Its my first and only at the moment. Next year when I offer grass cutiing, i think some of those accounts will be interested in snow removal, but for now- how can i get some business for a fair price...im willing to get paid a bit less, since i will probably take longer and possibly not do as great of a job as a pro- i mean- ill stay all night to make it look great as long as im getting paid per push. Sorry for the novel, but I'm really excited about this and dont want to screw anything up!:confused:

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Well for starters Good Luck with your new business. There is nothing like running your own business. You make more and you spend more. You are the boss (or your wife is in some cases).

Priceing is based on your over head + profit. You should figure out a daily amount you need to make. Take all your costs and your personal bills and your profit for a month. Then divide by the number of working days. (4 wks @ 5 days = 20 working days). This will give you a guess remembering that you probably won't be working 5 days a week every week in the beginning.

Advertising: Start with everyone you know. Offer to do it cheapier. Get your logo & phone number on your truck & trailer. Drive your truck everywhere. Get business cards. Some people like fliers. I have used them without good results. Go hang out at the local landscape supply stores. Get to know the people that run it. I use the phone book. Start small and as you get more business go bigger. Get a web page. Mine has generated every job I have gotten this year.

Get insurance. Your agent can tell you if you need additional for roof clearing. I am restriceted to 15'. This makes it cheapier because I don't do roofs or trees.

Take every spare minute and read Plowsite and Lawnsite posts. They don't have to be current to be right. Go back as far as you want.

Good Luck

5. BrewCityTommy

BrewCityTommy Member

Thanks Quad, your input is appreciated. I will take your advice.

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

So your excited about shoveling snow off a roof in the middle of a storm:eek:? You need a new hobby

7. BrewCityTommy

BrewCityTommy Member

HAHA! NO!!! Of course not, im excited about possibly being able to make some good money and not be dependant on some office big wig to get me work, then allow me to bust my ass for a peace corp wage!! I'm sure after a few big storms, the excitement will fade, but im new to this and to the idea of being my own boss-you understand. You must have been somewhat excited when you started, no? Or maybe you are used to making good money, or maybe you havent had to work a job like the one i am currently laid off from....I don't know, i just want some cash freedom! and with plows costing 5 grand, its gonna be a while before i can even replace that money-i had no idea they were that dam expensive...jeeeeez!!!!
    oh and my hobby is guns and shooting, i have a nice collection, my newest a taurus pt 1911 .45acp:gunsfiring: