1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof Shoveling

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Remsen1, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I do alot of it and it is a good money maker for me. Now I am trying to think of ways to do it faster. A man with a shovel can only do so much in a certain amount of time.

For mowing you'd get a bigger mower.
    For plowing you'd get a bigger truck/plow.
    What can you do for roof shoveling?

I was thinking of maybe a 2 cycle snow thrower, but I am not too convinced that it would be faster than a shovel especially since I am often shovelling 3 feet of snow. Weight and manueverability is a major concern.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  2. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Not sure what type of roof you mean but from experience a 2 cycle snow blower will not work well on a pitched asphalt shingle roof. I am from Buffalo NY and 2 years ago there was a band of snow that dumped 7 feet in 24 hours. I tried the 2 cycle Toro on my Dad's roof and those rubber paddles do a number on the shingles. His shingles are 4 years old in great shape but between the cold and rubber paddles they were getting chewed up. I tried blowing sideways and up because the paddles spin in a way to pull up the shingles if you face down the slope. I bet a small 2 stage would work because with skids or wheels nothing would be hitting the shingles the first stage moves it into the blower part. I wound up shoveling it and you are right about it being deep but again investigate a small 2 stage unit that you could haul up there. the other problem is the blower throwing it far enough to get off the roof otherwise you are making denser snow that you will have to re-blow to get off the roof.

3. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I was down in Valdez, Alaska a few summers ago and noticed bicycle flags on all the vent stacks on the roofs there.. The waitress told me it was so the snowblowers wouldn't hit the vents when they were blowing off the roof. These were flat roofs though.. Valdez gets an average of 500 inches of snow a year. When you ask people what they do in the Winter, they say 2 words... "Shovel snow"..