1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof shoveling

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Q-Team Inc, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

I'f you offer the service how do you figure out what to charge? Whats the best way. :eek:
  2. LI landscaping

LI landscaping Junior Member
    from NY

Give them a ballpark figure and then charge hourly.

DO NOT forget that snow shoveled from a roof onto hard surfaces (walks / drives) will hit like a ton of bricks and compact unbeleivably. Make sure you setimate for the time spent cleaning it up. Or better yet avoid it if possible-
  3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

HIT UP THE SEARCH BUTTON and see what you find there was quite a long post just recently about it.

If your gonna do it find yourself some "ROOF RAKES" as they are called. The one I own is manufactured by Melnor ( I think thats the name of the company)

4. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I would stay clear of shoveling roofs.How safe is it shovling snow on a slippery roof 30' up?:rolleyes:
  5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

ditto PPK I might consider it if the $$ is over $250 an hour and the might depends on the pitc of the roof
  6. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Personaly you wouldnt catch me on a roof in winter unless i was getting a crapload of $ to do it and i would still be wary of it. but if your gonna do it ya better make sure you got insurance that will cover it. a normal GL policy for snowplowing wont cover it.
  7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you're going to do it make sure you have the insurance, but don't be suprised when you get a quote for it, as soon as you step onto a ladder insurance prices tend to skyrocket.
  8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

roof clearing

to insurance companies it may be like"tap dancing in a minefield "
  9. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

O-team Inc as you can tell alot of guys tend not to do it. Although i know some people like myself we can't wait to get up on the roofs. the money is crazy around here. 250.00 hr is BELOW normal around here actually it would be way more than that for most cases.
    We do bungalows for $250.00, two storeys for $350.00. Flat roofs are way more as well as big buildings ie. hotels, apartments, etc etc.
    We have done bungalows in less than 10 minutes before with two guys. this does not happen all the time but what happened in this case was the snow came off in huge sheets.
    Clean up is a ***** but the demand is so high when people find out you are doing it, you can most likely pick and choose what places you want to do.
    On average we shovel approx 200 buildings a winter. a two man crew can shovel easily 15 houses a day.
    It also has a huge factor on what kind of snow you get in your area if it's wet that's no good. our winters usually consist of alot of fluffy snow then what will happen is we will get a couple freak rain storms and people freak out thinking their house is gonna cave in.
    Falling off roofs is a different topic all together. bungalows no big deal (happens a couple times but the snow is so deep it's kinda fun). Two storeys or apt buildings, ropes and harnesses are a must gotta have them. Never had any fall off a bigger building yet (knock on wood) the bigger buildings tend to have less of a slope to them.

10. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

elitelandscape- Do you do it on call or do you say when you get X amount of snow on the roof you'll be out.
  11. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

We shovel 5 - 10 roof per year depending on the snowfall. I have a couple of guys on the crew who don't mind it and actually want me to drum up more business. We are covered through our general liability and worker's comp. I usually pay the guys double time per hour and will charge by the roof or by the hour. Small roofs around $200.