1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof Raking

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RonWin, Feb 16, 2015.

1. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I've gotten a ton of calls from clients asking if I could remove snow from their roofs. I have never done this before and was looking for some information on how to turn this into a business. I am interested in finding out as much as I can from price points to types of equipment that is out there. Can anyone point me in the right direction or would be willing to mentor me on this type of business? I have so far declined all requests in response of the service calls as I do not have the equipment//price knowledge of this type of work. Thanks!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just call your insurance agent and tell them you want to work removing snow from roofs.

then go read up on the osha requirements for working in elevated places/roof wok and fines for noncompliance.

I tell my customers to call a roofing CO .
    When the roof starts to leak they will be blaming you.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How true,stick to plowing and let someone else fall off the roof.

4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Keep in mind there is a difference between roof raking and shoveling roofs.
    Most times a roof rake is intended to clear maybe 4-6 feet from the edge of the roof. Roof shoveling is typically for flat roofs.
    It can be a good money maker and I do charge a lot for it.
    It is good on a slower winter to keep busy but this winter it is kicking my a $$ keeping up with it.
    I would make it worth your while. As far as equipment all you need is a shovel ladder and 50 dollar roof rake from blowes. You should also have insurance

5. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Stay on the ground...with this.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Skis or not you can't see the swear vent or the roof vents.
    Most are pvc or plastic .

Then even if the weight of the ice bent the gutters,
    Bend or damage some of that copper flashing and gutter:nono:

Then when spring comes the home owner will be looking at you.

Next problem when the snow on the ground mounds up the show
    falling towards the building, causing damage and breaking windows

Ice falling on your head,
    As the roof rake pulls the snow down on top of you.
    Those fancy adds show the rake going up the roof and not what is napping on the ground

As I said for me I'd rather spend my time using the truck.
    Than standing outside working a rake all day.
    And the liability is much lower,
    But that's me.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I'm gonna try one. I was looking at the 750 model, but they're not listed on Amazon, and are apparently sold out pretty much everywhere else.
    From the Rhino Mfg./Avalanche! site, it looks like pretty much everything is sold out except the "pullback" type rake (SRD20)
    From the Amazon reviews, most users seem pretty happy with theirs.

I'll be using mine on my own home, but I'd let my neighbors borrow it if they needed it. I know where all the vents are on my roof, so I don't feel the need to consult my insurance man every time I want to coupé le fromage.