1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof Protection from Mag. Mounts

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 9, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Just wondering what and if anyone puts protection between the magnetic mounts and the paint? What do you use?

I was thinking maybe one of the magnetic logo for the doors would work but I am not sure.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I put on some clear silicone and cut up a cotton shirt and made little pads to stick to the bottoms of the magnets. I take if off when not in use and it works out well. It does not lose any of its staying power does not scratch the roof of the truck. Been though 3 storms and they are holding strong.

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Oooo, what about small buffing bonnets?

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The only thing you want to be careful is that you dont get a buffer that is to thick that will take away from the power of the magnet. They usually say no faster then 55 or 65, but you dont want to be driving down the road and see your new light go crashing to the road and seeing the next vehicle behind you breaking it into a million little pieces...

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I always just used duct tape without any problems........

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

ok...main thing...make sure the surface is clean both the roof and the magnets... I used both duct tape and electrical tape. Once used Felt but that didn't last long...light slid across the roof at 30mph. You can also look into like a thin sign magnet cut it in 4's and go with that.

7. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I use the silver Mylar furnace tape, its super thin and does not weaken the magnets at all
    I also us it on my triple mag mount antenna

8. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Take the magnets off, Completly surround the magnets with 1 layer of duct tape. Doesnt affect the pulling power. Its the cheapest way unless you want to buy the rubber boots for the magnets.

9. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

screw it to a light bar dont have to worry about it going bye bye and no paint gets ruind. o there then that i take photo contact cement stuff for matting photos put wax paper on the bottom and that works good

10. topdj

topdj Senior Member

duct take is too thick I think,new truck have thinner sheet metal and the magnets need to be as close as possible, I can drive 70-75 with the mylar tape under the magenet,
    the mylar funace/duct tape is ultrathin and has no messy goo on it, nice clean sticking and you can trim with a razor blade.

Mylar® is an exceptionally strong, flexible, durable polyester film with
    properties that make it extremely suitable for most Industrial applications.
    Inert to water, Mylar® acts as a moisture barrier and is unaffected by oil,
    grease, and aromatics. It remains tough, clear and flexible from minus 100° F
    to over 300° F and will not yellow or become brittle under normal conditions.
    Mylar® has excellent dielectric properties and can be used as an effective insulator
    in electrical applications.

see why I dont like regular duct tape it its looks bad LOL but it works for this guy below

car_small.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  11. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I agree.... The Mylar would do better than the Duct Tape plus it doesn't leave any glue on the roof when it gets hot!

12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ok let me clear this up u dont stick the ductape to the roof u stick it to the magnets

13. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

You could get poly coated magnets. They work great and won't leave a scratch on the roof.

14. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I take my magnets off and Plasti-Dip them. Seems to work. I go through the car wash with my bar on, it stays put.

Jon

15. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

if ya'll are so worried about a little tape residue (goo) then, maybe you should skip the light bar....... I never had any goo on my vehicles...... and I never had a light blow off......and that was 13 years of volly firefighting with lights ranging from small beacons to mini strobe bars.....

16. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Right! But usually you have to put 2 strips or more depending on the size of the magnet

17. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I use two strips of rubber cut to sit under the magnets, except for my wife hitting a sign with the light when she took the truck to work, no problems. Truck has seen 75-80 mph with the light on, dual rotator halogen.

18. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

One layer around the whole magnet.

19. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

I use wax paper. Just cut a piece the same size as your magnet and stick under it. The only downfall is if you take it off you have to make sure you grab your wax paper too.

20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

A wise man once told me.....Wax Paper