1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof Mounted Light Bar

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 99zr2, Oct 25, 2005.

1. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Just woundering how you guys with GMC or Chevy's run your wire for your lights on top of the truck. On my old GMC I just ran the wire into the top back corner of the rear door of the ext. cab.

With my new truck that I am getting on sunday I wanted to run the wire so you couldn't see it really from out side the truck.
    Pics would help.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Drill a hole. Otherwise all the guys run theres out the 3rd brake .
  3. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

If the wire runs out the third brake light do you take a dremel and remove some of the plastic so it doesn't bulge out the light?
  4. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

Thats what I did with the third brake light when I installed an xm satellite radio antenna. I didn't have a dremel so I just used a file. You could drill a hole in the top of the cab but a new third brake light is a lot easier and cheaper than welding a hole shut and repainting the roof if you change your mind or sell the truck.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hey keeblerBP,
    I've been trying to get ahold of you please call me
  6. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Keebler, Do you have a pic of that? Your right it is alot easier to repalce the third brake light. Especially because I still have the old totaled trruck in my yard.
  7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I just used the factory push button on the dash that controls the cargo light, wired my light bar into that, disconnected the cargo like ( doesn't do sh*t anyway ), now when I turned on the cargo light my light bar actually came on. It's a Whalen LED light bar so it doesn't draw much amperage anyway.
  8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Do a serch for threads by flykelley I posted pictures of my wiring coming out of the third brake light about a month ago.

Good Luck Mike
  9. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Good Idea Eyesell, Never thought of that. My light is a fisher dual rotator.

Thanks mike I will.
  10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

that should work as well, just wnat ot keep in mind the amp draw cause the wire that's there is set up to run those little light bulbs and nothing more, if your rotators draw to much either 1, fuse will blow, or 2, wire will burn up :yow!:
  11. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

True but luckaly for me I have the snow plow prep package. But if I didn't like on my ZR2 I had, I could of done that or atleast tried it.

I got my bar mounted on the "new truck" on sunday. Looks cool on a black truck. I ran the wires out the trird brake light. Not bad looking, nice and clean.

Mike I tried the search like you said but nothing was jumping out at me. Can you give any more specifics on the thead that I am looking for?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  12. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

new truck

lets see the new truck 99zr2:redbounce
  13. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

I made a new post to show the truck. Check it out.
  14. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

even if it did draw too many amps for those wires to handle you could think of mounting a relay behind the light, i am not sure how much room there is but then that would handle up to 30 amps in a small relay
  15. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Sure would, that would work perfect.

Good Idea.:)