1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

roof lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Polarisrider, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

Just wanted to know if anyone has installed the aftermarket roof lights on there truck? Seems like everyone i talk to says it would be easier to just buy a truck that already has them cause they are a pain to install. i would like to put them on my truck depending on how expensive it would be. I may sound anal but it is an important option to me and would appreciate the input. Here is a pic.

cab lights.jpg

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Well, I would tell you it isn't worth it, & that you really don't need them, but I think it would be a waste of time on my part.

I am going through an issue with mine right now. I will have the lights off the top of my truck tomorrow, if you would like me to take some pictures I can. The hardest part would be cutting the holes in the roof....or I should a say nerve racking. Wiring isn't too big of a deal, a little time consuming if anything if you want it done right. Not sure how close our interiors are, but if it is like mine, you can get the factory switch if you want to keep it looking OEM. I have the 02 GMC 2500HD.

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I installed them on mine, no big deal. I found an orange wire in the headliner that was taped off, and happened to be hooked to the parking lamp switch. I used that wire and they function as if they were factory installed. In my opinion its a great look for the truck.

4. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

just a question how do they work as factory installed. are they activated sepreatly from the running lights or turn on when you put your parking lamps on? Just wondering because my boss's GMC 2500HD has a seaprete switch so you can turn them on and off as you like.

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I thought they were switched with the parking lights, but i could be wrong

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

There is a separate button that can be installed where the air bag off switch is. It is labeled "Aux light" Check your owners manual.

7. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Hell id take it in and have them installed at a dealer. I dislike the idea of cutting holes in the roof of trucks

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

I think they actually have a kit for this, I would atleast call the dealer.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

What year is your truck? I just redid mine the other day. My lens were faded pretty badly and cracked. I replaced everything on the lights. When I re wired them I took off my sunvisors in the cab and my overhead console. I could access all the wires very easily. I also had to take the A-post trim off. Honestly its on very hard. I helped a buddy set up his truck also from scratch. The whole process took a good 2 hours a most.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

His is an 00

11. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

i just had the recon led aftermarkets put on my truck. Looks 100% better. cost me 120$ in labor for them to install. Well worth it.

i had them wire it up to my overhead light switch. my truck had a switch pre wired for the overhead lights.

12. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

yes JCI trans if you could please post some pics that would be great. Im pretty confident in my ability to wire them up (I took an electricity class at BOCES a trade school for 2 years) so that shouldn't be a problem just cutting into the roof I could prolly have my dad's friend do it. As stated eariler all you have to do is take off the overhead console and A-piller trim right. no removal of headliner. I assume. i also know that LMC has a kit but I will prolly go with the factory ones for an OEM look even tho they are not LED.

13. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I installed the 5 piece factory style lights on my 98 K1500 and it wasn't that hard. Just be sure to measure a few times before drilling the holes. I also put tape on the areas to drill and slightly dimpled the place I was going to drill so the drill bit didn't walk across the metal. I had to partially take down the headliner on mine and I used a factory wiring harness that I hooked into the parking light wire. If yours is a newer model, the power wire should already be up in the roof. Mine have been on for about six years and still don't leak. The hardest part was making that first drill hole in the roof. After that it was easy. Good luck.

Wayne