1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof lights always on after installation

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by Boondox, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I started several years ago with a 7 1/2' Curtis Sno-Pro 3000 on my '02 Chevy 1500 W/T, and liked it so much that I upgraded the plow to an 8 footer when I traded up to an '06 Chevy 2500HD. My dealer checked with Curtis tech support and was told the wiring harness on the 1500 would work fine on the 2500HD but that different headlight adaptors were needed, so that's what they did.

The plow, controls, lights etc all work perfectly...except my roof lights now come on anytime the headlights are on regardless of whether or not the plow is mounted. The on-off switch on the dash has no effect whatsoever. In daylight, with the DRLs on, the roof lights are off. But the moment the headlights come on, so do the roof lights.

Any idea what's causing this?

TIA, Pete
  2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

what do you mean by roof lights? Are you talking about cab markers or plowing beacons?
  3. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

In have been having major issues with my 2004 dodge ram. after installation the my lamp out indicator started going nuts randomly...then sometimes my low beams would quit....then they stopped all together. brought it back they say nothing is wrong bring it to dodge and they say my front control module is bad. Replace it i drive away with fully functional headlights(325 bucks)...3 days later...boom....problems back. bring it back to dodge they say the module is blown again and replace it again and they ask me to disconnect the headlight adapters from the curtis plow. I do so they are great for a month till i have to bring the plow to the installer to replace a already corroded right angle ram. (one season old). Hook up the headlight adapters so i can see (drove it to the installer at night).....no problem that night so i left them hooked up....next day DING DING DING....there goes my lowbeams acting up again. So now I cannot keep the adapter hooked up or else it fries my FCM.....Curtis has sent me new headlight adapters with diodes and to no avail....when theyre hooked up my lamp out indicator comes on randomly........

And now who knows what the next step is. This has been a horrible experience that has cost me hundreds of dollars with no reimbursement for a product that is causing the headlights on my 43,000 dollar truck to blow out. Its a joke. Apparently its "only my truck" that has the problem. Im not spending another hard earned penny on this company's problem that has caused my truck to be unreliable and UN-SAFE!!!!!

Just my opinion...though...
  4. dbreault

dbreault Member

I do know you were working with our Technical Support Department to try and resolve your situation. I am curious though that you didn't experience the problem since day one that maybe it is something else on the truck causing a problem. We have sold over 500 mounts for your specific truck and really haven't heard of any wiring problems. The new 2007 Rams do have a light control module that is hyper-sensitive to adding any lights (plow, fog, strobes, etc) and for that we are making new products to adapt.

We would love to have you go to one of the recommended dealers or even come to the factory in MA if need be so we can get you back on the road..... ;)

5. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

im pretty sure that is how clearence lights work.... they should always be on with the headlights
  6. JoeMcD

JoeMcD Junior Member
    from Mass

I am a little confused, Are you talking about the roof marker lights, or some sort of lightbar or beacon that is staying on all the time? I have an 06 2500HD with the roof marker lights and there on whenever the headlights come on, I think the button on the dash is to control an aftermarket light bar or something like that, not the factory marker lights
  7. JoeMcD

JoeMcD Junior Member
    from Mass

I am a little confused, do you mean you have a lightbar that turns on, or is it your roof marker lights that turn on? I have only the roof marker lights and they have always came on whenever the headlights or parking lights came on.
  8. JoeMcD

JoeMcD Junior Member
    from Mass

Are you talking about the roof marker lights that some trucks have from the factory, or are you talking about aftermarket strobes, or a lightbar of sorts?
  9. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

I Don't Remember

About 2 years ago we moved a Curtis plow from 2000 truck to 2006, both Chevys and the dealer said we needed different adapters. I remember somthing was wrong with the lights, and i think i did a little wire cutting to solve the problom. A good test light, thats the ticket !
    Sorry i can't be spicific.
  10. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

Ive been working with numerous people here in NJ. Dodge, a few of the guys that do our emergency light installs and repairs on our fire apparatus, and common sense all point to something with the plow that is causing the problem. In order to bring it to one of your dealers I would have to take a day off of work and spend more money on diesel for the hour drive. In order to bring it up to Mass It would be a 3.5 hour drive from me. Another day off of work....and more money spent out of my pocket. I was told It is very unclear whether or not I would receive any compensation for this....and I was even told by one of your employees that they "didnt see the point" in me taking it to another dealer. This problem started after I had the plow installed. Not the day after considering it was in september and I was not using it. I cant recall 100% but I beleive I used it for the first time in december of 2005. And one or two storms later the problem began. And has not stopped since. 1st fix cost me 325 out of pocket. 3 days later the module went bad again....dodge warrantied their work and replaced it no charge(Because they back their product and their work) but asked me to disconnect the headlight adapters. I did so. For about a month they were disconnected. Dealing with technical service for months now curtis finally sent me replacement headlight adapters with diodes soldered in line to attempt to correct the problem. I had to bring my plow back to the installer to have the right angle cylinder replaced since it started pitting and rusting (after one season of use). The only time I could drive up there was at night. So I put the new headlight adapters on and drove the half hour. Picked the truck up the next day. Went home took the plow off but left the adapters plugged in. Mainly because I hoped it had fixed the problem. Sure enough later that night get in my truck, start it, LAMP OUT displays on the dash and dings like crazy. Go home and disconnect the adapters and since that night almost every day my lamp out would be displayed for a random amount of time....no lamps out. Then every other day my left lowbeam would be out upon turning the lights on then would come on shortly after. And now It hasnt come back on in two weeks.

Exhausted and frustrated the plow lights were re wired by myself and some of the gentlemen who do our emergency lighting ( I am a Lieutenant for the local fire dept ).

Needless to say this leaves me with yet another faulty Front control module. A 350 dollar part including labor.

I am a 22 year old who saved for over a year for this plow for my dodge ram. The initial cost was 3925.59 to the penny. I have paid to have the front control module of my truck once which was 325.00 to the penny. I then paid almost 100 dollars on wires, relays, connectors, etc etc to wire these lights to isolate them from my trucks electrical system. And now I am still left without a good front control module. Therefore this will cost me another 325.00 out of pocket to get my truck back to normal.

In other words this will cost me 4675.59 when I get this module replaced. I will not spend another dime or put another mile on my vehicle. I wold love to agree that something from the truck is causing this. But common sense, Dodge, And people with years of automotive electrical experience have all inspected, thought about, and tested and tried everything. The general consensus is that....Something with the plow wiring whether it be a shorted wire, a crossed wire, and bad ground, or a faulty wire harness is causing my problem.

And furthermore. Right on dodges body builders website FOR A 2004 DODGE RAM it says do not splice the right and left headlamp ciruits into one. It will overload the front control module causing a lamp out condition.

When I presented this info to curtis the reply I got was "no thats for the 2007's" when I told him no this is off dodges website for the 2004's the reply I got was "o.....really?"

The curtis wiring diagram and a employee of curtis both tell me that the wires come back off the headlight adapters and are spliced into one wire which goes into the back of your toggle switch. According to dodge YOU CANNOT DO THIS.

All this though...and I still have no word on any compensation in sight. Thanks a lot Curtis.
  11. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

12. dbreault

dbreault Member

We actually have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 here (yes it's got a HEMI :) ) and it has had more plows, harness' and abuse than any one truck should ever endure in 80k miles. I do sympathize with your problem and are puzzled of the of how this is occuring. Some dealers are more proficiant at trouble-shooting than others and the one that was recommended is very good at trouble-shooting wiring.

I know you have been working on this a while, please contact me here at the factory so we can resolove this.

13. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

Thank you david I will call you shortly
  14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

600rrpilot ,

How many times did they have to reset the module in the Dodge before they replaced it? It is my understanding that the module has to be tripped 6 or 7 times before it needs replacement. Think of the module as a computer controlled fuse that can only be reset by the scan tool that the dealer has. I would ask the dealer why they did not just reset the box. Could be a place to start.

Not saying the problem is truck-side, but that module is nothing more then a fancy fuse box, it can and should be reset and not replaced. It was designed to protect what ever the problem is, not blow up.

Worse yet that $325 module is nothing more then what fuses and flashers were in the old trucks.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007