1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof light......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by poncho62, Feb 1, 2004.

1. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I noticed while going through the pictures forum, that the trucks in the US use amber flashing light on the roof. We here in Ontario, Canada use a blue light. Is there a law in place to dictate this?

Just wondering.

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Down here the only ppl who can have a blue light are the safty forces...Rob

3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Up here, they are the only ones (cops, ambulance, fire etc) allowed to use a red light......Tow trucks etc use amber lights, snowplows use blue..........its getting confusing now....lol

4. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

Each state/municipality has their own codes. Check your local laws in order to be compliant....

5. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

In Illinois you can run what ever color you want when you are on PRIVATE property. You must, however, remove the light when you are on the road unless it is amber.
    -Doc-

6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Here volunteer firefighter personal vehicals use blue lights.Cops have red ,blue and sometimes amber all combined on there light bars.Ambulance mostly red.Fire trucks have red, blue ,amber lights..Tow trucks, utility trucks and plowing vehicals use amber lights only.Sometimes i have even seen volunteer ems people using green lights but not to often.

7. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Poncho62
    Here in Nova Scotia only police can use blue. They can also use red. Firetrucks and ambulances also use red. Tow trucks and plows use amber.

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Police, Fire, Ambulance use Red, Tow trucks, Plow trucks and Construction Amber. It seems here only EMTs use blue.

9. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Guess none of us had better cross any borders, we could be in big trouble.....lol

10. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

That is an interesting thought. I wonder what would happen. I'm a civilian with the NYPD and I'm going to ask at work tommorrow!

11. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Doc good to see you back posting again.

Regards Mike

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

here the only people that can have blue are cops. Fire fighters and cops can have red. Amber, or yellow (thats what it looks to me) is for plows, tow trucks, mail delievery, or anything you need to watch out for. :D :D But people still run into the DOT plow trucks.:rolleyes:

13. Raydon

Raydon Member

Poncho, a word of caution for you. Regarding the blue plow light, make sure it's not turned on when your on the road. My brother got a $110.00 ticket last week, here in Ontario.

14. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Years ago, they used to have a commercial on TV, that showed a snowplow with a tailgunner on the back to keep people from running to the back of it. I thought it was pretty original.

15. acornish

acornish Senior Member

here in jersey --Red police ,or municipal fire viecles-- Blue is voluntere fire, or ambulance-- Yellow is road department , or tow trucks, and any other construction type viecle-- bye the way this state does require a permit to use a rotating, flashing ,or strobe type emergency light-- can be a fine up to $500.00 and 90 days in jail if you are caught without the propper permits--- also Green lights are in all 50 US states governed by The American Red Cross as Disaster Emergency Only-- Although some states use them for their EMT's

16. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Poncho theres a new commercial on the radio warning people not to crowd the plow trucks. Seriously, what the HEL! are people thinking. When you get behind one of those trucks you get pelted with ice, snow, salt and sand. Gee honey, I don't know why the front of our car looks so scratched up?? I have had a DOT truck stop traffic for me so i could get into a parking lot to plow. And again not long ago a municipal truck did the same thing, blocked 2 lanes of traffic for me so I could back out and finish plowing a small lot. I give them room and they help me out. :D :D Except for the town of Portage, was going 5 over, and had a string of plow trucks on my arse. :realmad:

17. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

You can use Blue Lights on the road, who says you can't. Ok here it goes say for example you are doing one area of residential plowing with 20 customers in a very tight route with travel time being 2 mins maximum between accounts or less what do you keep turning the light on and off? What do you do when you plow out the windrow the city plow left at he end of the drives do keep the blue light off because you are still on the road portion? Or when you are a matter of feet before the next account and you put the light on in advance to warn traffic that you are going to slow down before you reach the next place, will you get a ticket? Come on, common sense is the key when using the blue light, and if you explain yourself to the cop or the judge I'm almost certain it will get thrown out. After all it is a safety device and not using it is to the detriment to the motring public's safety and yourself. By having it on you are warning the public that you are a slower moving snow plow vechicle that needs extra space.

Dan

18. Raydon

Raydon Member

:jester: Dan, I agree with you, but unfortunately this Durham regional in Oshawa didn't. He actually at the time was running a radar setup at 5:30 am during a snow storm with 3-4 inches fallen and roads slick. I guess he wasn't doing well with the speeders.

19. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

codes say that KMART is the only entity that is allowed to use the BLUE LIGHTpurplebou

20. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

And don't forget... All fire trucks and ambulances that carry a paramedic are supposed to show a GREEN light.