1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof lamp bulbs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Prof Touch L&L, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

So I have 2 lights out in the middle lamp on my 04 Silverado HD. I tried Adv Auto and nothing. It says "replace entire asm" on the light assembly. I went to the dealer, they were no help, they claim all they show is a replacement bulb. The bulb doesnt come out of the assembly. The guy at the dealership said he has a "shifter light" that might work, $12 each!!! :mad: So $36 to replace or I can get the whole thing, bulbs and lens for $95 :realmad:. I dont want to pay that much. Any suggestions out there???
  2. z400

z400 Member

Do a conversion with another light assembly from another truck.

its simple to do and can look really clean if you take your time.

just find one that takes up the area of the stock unit

You should be able to find plenty of options at the local junk yard
  3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I buy the factory ac delco bulbs at the dealer. They are about $12 each. Ive went through 3 in the past 4 years. It sucks but they look sweet. lol
  4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I get mine at a local parts store. When I showed the dealer he looked at me like I had 3 heads. He ended up finding them at like $12 also (rip-off). They look exactly the same and I bought 4 for 5 bucks.
    I also went to autozone and adv. and they had nothing. I guess you just have to find someone that knows what they are talking about.
  5. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Thanks for the input guys. I went to Carquest and picked up 5 replacement bulbs for $8!!! :D
    :gunsfiring: dealer
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Should've been 194's IIRC.
  7. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

i know you bought bulbs but heres a replacement set up thats led's. one of my next purchases!!
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

not to hijack, but I've been thinking of putting these lights on my truck that didn't come with them from the factory and the salesman for the local parts dealer said don't even bother. They've seen the factory ones leaking, they've seen aftermarket ones leaking etc... anyone having this problem?
  9. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

i put some on an old truck of mine that did not come with them. i drilled the holes for the wiring and mounting screws. before i screwed them down i put alot of silicon down and then secured them in place. i never had a problem. if you seal the hole you shouldnt have a problem.
  10. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

I havent had that problem. We'll see after I changed out the bulbs if it'll leak (hope not). I think if you have a good seal you should be ok.
  11. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I installed the old body style factory cab lights to my 98 ECSB Z71 about 4 1/2 years ago and so far have not had any leaks that I know of. I used a rubber grommet in the holes I drilled for the wires and the base for the light is rubber so everything seems to be sealed good. I did not use any extra silicone on the base gasket or do anything special for the screw holes. I like cab lights and they look good at night.

PS. My reg cab 1998 K3500 that I recently bought came factory with the cab lights.