1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

roof ideas for salt bin

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mc1, Nov 7, 2009.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i am building a salt bin from concrete blocks it is goign to be 12 feet wide 18 feet long and 6 feet tall the only thing going in there is a bobcat shoud i build a roof out of 2x6 or get premade trusses ,can i get a way with just a frame and tarp . i am trying to do this as chaep as i can but if i need to spend some $$ then i will
  2. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Look around at lumber yard for I joist returns and odd lengths. you should be able to get a decent flat roof to stretch a tarp across for less then $300.00
  3. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Might take a look at treated 4x4's or even the manufactured 2.5" x112 headers. I have used the treated stuff in the past and it worked pretty good. If you don't think the 4x4's would work they also have 6x6's
    Just a thought.
  4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Interested in a metal roof for it? I can give you a good contact. I'm going to be making a similar one soon.
  5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure your flat roof can handle a heavy snow load ......
  6. Eden's Own

Eden's Own Junior Member
    from Indiana

7. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Another thought might be to go to Menards, Lowes, etc. and see what the have for small trusses for sheds, etc. Should be able to find something wide enough. Then you can either cover them with Tarp, metal siding, etc.
  8. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I just had a steel carport installed on top of mafia blocks. It is really nice and is 14 ft high. 18 by 21 ft. Cost me around 2000.00 installed. It is going to be nice not to have to fight with the old tarp this year.