1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof clearance light strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by fms, Sep 24, 2008.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Has anyone seen a strobe kit for the roof clearance lamps? I'm trying to keep lighting as discreet as possible.

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I haver alway been told, they get to hot

3. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

What about LEDs on roof clearance lights? There's gotta be something out there.

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

if your going for discrete then just do hideaways in headlights, and tailights and if you want to you can also put them in the cargo lights/third brake light like weeman's truck was just done. much safer and easier.. jmo

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

i agree also

6. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

If you bought the aftermarket LED lights like the one from recon it might be made to work. You would have to see what resister setup they use in a normal led strobe head and see how you can wire it to work with the clearance lights. It would likely take a good understanding of electrical know how and automotive wiring and would involve some cost I'm sure. In the end, most likely not worth the hassle. At least that's my thoughts on it. I wanted to wire clearance lights to work as sequential turn signals but realized it was not worth the cost and work. This is not much different.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know why everyone is so in to hideaways. Im putting 2 in my rear tails and even then, more for when its not snowing, if I had them in front and behind in the third break light, id freak, way to much flash back. Clearance lights would be brutal!

8. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't like the front hideaways because they get blocked by the plow and too much flash back. I like the rear hideaways on my other truck, but they're in the reverse lense and clear. I may go with amber strobes in the rear, but I'd still like to convert the roof clearance lights if possible.

9. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VxevsFuHKrI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VxevsFuHKrI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

use the nova led hid a ways theres 2 kinds that are very small and bright

11. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I used hide a way strobes in my clearence lights. The best thing I ever did. I removed the two outer covers and relocated the running light futher back in the cover then the strobe tube is mounted where the running light was. I also removed my cargo lights and mounted two strobes there as well. I have a total of eight. Take your time when mounting the strobe tubes, measure twice cut once.

12. andyman5001

andyman5001 Member
    from NE Ohio

Snow7899,
    What kind of strobes did you put in your cargo lamps. And where did you buy them. I have a 2007 Dodge and there is a button in the cab for the cargo lamp. I always thought that would be a good spot for a strobe. Any help would be appreciated.

13. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

FF......Nice. What year is the Mack?

14. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

my 2cents

just a thought and i think im going to be trying this on a truck in the near future but look into the whelen OS series LED lights, they are really tiny and would fit jsut about anywhere

15. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

check whellens vortex leds, they are bright as ****, and small. we are currently working on an install for a customer, and then my truck will be getting done. i will let you know.
    they will fit tho, i know .

16. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm curious to see how it works out.
    You're not too far from me.
    Please keep me posted.

17. hotshot4819

i will. i am hoping for the start of next week.
    leds are cheap, roughly 80 dollars, and we have a great install and warranty package.

18. hotshot4819

19. dalmatian

dalmatian Junior Member

Just wondering if you ever got them to fit in the clearance lights and if so what would it cost to do a 08 ford f350 ball park. thanks

20. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

subscribed love to know:nod: