1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

roof clearance lamps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by k&j Landscaping, Aug 19, 2009.

1. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Interested in installing roof clearance lamps on truck not factory equipped. Looking at Recon amber light kit. Any suggestions, problems, concerns with aftermarket stuff? Do I need to obtain the factory wiring harness? Looking for suggestions.

2. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I installed a GM kit after i bought the truck used, then i switched to the recon LED kit a few months ago. The recon set looks great and really stands out. As far as wiring.. my 02 didn't come with them from the factory, but when i took down the overhead console i found a taped off wire mixed in with the harness. A few pokes with the test light showed that it was switched with the parking lamps, so i wired it to that. I dont recall the color of the wire. Im pretty sure they use pretty much the same harness for all the trucks then hook up whatever it is spec'd for. It would be wayyy too expensive to custom make a harness for each individual truck.

3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

The Recon kits come with all the wiring and a switch (I think). However, you can buy all the factory stuff from GMpartsdirect for around $200, wiring harness included.

Left: 15059752, $62.12
    Center: 15219564, $68.41
    Right: 15059752, $62.12
    Harness: 15846970, $18.94

4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I added factory clearance lights to my 98 K1500. I used the five individual lights that were the factory style for my year truck. I did buy an aftermarket kit but I ended up going to the Junkyard and pulling a factory wiring harness out of a truck and bought five new lenses from GM. The only part I used from the kit was the rubber bases. The aftermarket lenses would not fit on the rubber base because they were made wrong.

I also bought an aftermaket kit of the 2001 and up style that I originally was going to put on the truck before I decided to go with the stock version. This kit looked identical to the factory lights. They are still sitting on the shelf in the garage.

The main advice I have on installing these lights is to make sure your measurements are where you want them before drilling. Drilling into the roof was the hardest part to start. I took measurements off of a truck with factory lights to get my measurements.

Mine have been on for almost six years and have not leaked yet.(knock on wood). Good luck.

Wayne