1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

roof cleaning services

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by roxxor92, Aug 1, 2013.

1. roxxor92

roxxor92 Junior Member
    from dfh

so i am thinking about trying to make some extra money this winter cleaning roofs. i have a few questions about it though as ive only ever done a few. first off i plan on only doing roofs that can be done with a roof shovel or and avalanche, on a ladder. wont go any higher than a ladder or get on a pitched roof. has anybody done this? is there a good market for it? and my main question is would i HAVE to have insurance to do this? how expensive if im not going on the roofs? could i get away with maybe creating a basic contract saying im not responsible for damages to the roof? im not too worried about getting hurt since i wont be going any higher than a ladder.

and tips/comments are appriciated. i got this idea from a friend who said he used to do this at the trailer parks and make good money doing awnings and whatnot.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldnt go any higher then a 32ft ladder either.

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

You'll have to have insurance if you are going to charge for your services.

In my opinion the risk of damage to the property and structure is significant enough that I wouldn't even do it. You have to know that if the snow slides off it can easily tear off gutters. It can crush lower porches etc.

Then if that roof leaks in the next year, they will blame it on you.

4. d_charters

d_charters Junior Member
    from ontario

Installing Christmas lights I put the ladder up and as I turned to grab my rope to tie the top off the wind grabbed the ladder and dropped it 2 feet short of the homeowners car. Things can go wrong quick.

5. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

It's not likely covered under a reg snow policy so if your going to do them it will prob be an extra coverage thing.