1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Roof Beacon that doesn't make you dizzy?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mow4cash, Oct 30, 2015.

1. mow4cash

mow4cash Member

I currently have a Whelen 2022. I think it works great, however plowing in the dark or snow the flashback is very bothersome. I usually keep the strobe off during the dark because I can't stand it. I am wondering if there is a light that can be seen well yet have minimal flashback?
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

This what I use. I like it
  3. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  4. Ben C

Ben C Junior Member

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have the sho-me mini bar on one truck, and a combination of whelen strobe, LED, and high intensity bulb rotator bars on the other trucks.
    the overhead lights are only used when i am clearing intersections or on heavy traffic roads. otherwise i only run the hideaways in the corners. and the hideaways are switchable for front and rear. if no one else is on the road i run rear only, if someone comes toward me i will flip the fronts on.
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I went back to a dual rotator because of the headache I'd get from the flashback. No problems since and I switched back years ago
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've found the LED's eliminate flashback, not sure why, but they do. Bright as heck, low draw and no more flashback.
  8. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I have found the same. I also turned off my minibar on the roof unless I was on a site with other equipment. Otherwise I stuck to two lights I mounted to my backrack (Strobes N More E6 Grill lights), and a dash light that I stuck along the passenger headliner.

I had very little flashback, and only if the minibar was on.
  9. mow4cash

mow4cash Member

I think I'm going to try the Whelen L21. It's led,has adjustable modes, and a dimming mode. I was so happy with the longevity of my previous whelen I figured I would try out the updated model. Rotators was my first choice but I'll take my chance with the newer technology. Thanks guys for the input.
  10. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

11. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Junior Member
    from Kokomo

I run a small Star S200D double flash strobe. Its not a real fast flash rate. I did have a quad flash strobe but it was to much flash back from the fast multi flash. I would love to swap a few of my amber strobes for one of the old 2 bulb slow revolving lights, Napa, Dietz, Federal Signal ect. Modern lights just look odd to me on my old pickup. On our shop trucks, one has a mini LED bar on the headache rack, and the big dually has a Federal Signal Vista strobe bar mounted on a razor back. Both of those trucks have hideaways in the corner/tail lights. Mike
  12. DowneastPower

DowneastPower Junior Member

Yup, have the same one! Works great and the magnets are insanely strong and the light is wicked bright!
  13. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

I used to use the 2022 on the trucks. Somehow we would burn them up, maybe the moisture was too much for them.

Anyhow went with the whelen L41. Lots of patterns, pick a slow one and you will be ok.

Light output is as good as the 2022 and being led it's all sealed up, so no premature failure from salt or moisture.