1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rocking Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris wickson, Jan 19, 2005.

1. chris wickson

chris wickson Junior Member

I was wondering if anybody has this issue with their fisher minute mount(original style). I just put a new center pin and angle pins in the setup. When driving over bumpy roads, or on uneven surfaces, the plow was tight and didn't rock or twist much when lifted. Now after about 40 hours of plowing in multiple storms in not the easiest pushes, the plow seems to rock and twist about 3 to 6 inches from level when raised and riding over bumps. Is this the normal amount of play? I understand the need for give in the setup but is this excessive? Plow works fine when on the surface, so maybe I shouldn't be concerned? Any advice is appreciated.

2. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Never had anything but meyers but I think it would be wise to closely check that your center pivot bolt is still secure and that the bracket that the bolt goes through didn't spread.

3. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

also check where your rams bolt up.

4. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Don't forget to check BOTH ends of the ram cylinders. I've replaced those bolts about every other season on my meyer.

5. sam973

sam973 Member

On my MM1 plows I adjusted the chain so the plow can't go all the way up to the stops any more. This allows it to rock when up. I did this so the plow would stay on the ground going over a large hump. The ones I didn't adjust the chain on have very little play when all the way up against the stops. Did you adjust your chain? and if so are you still hitting the stops?

6. sam973

sam973 Member

one other thought. sometimes the plow floats down while driving which would cause it to come away from the stops too. Make sure its all the way up against the stops when you check it for play.

7. chris wickson

chris wickson Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice. Everything checks out, and the pins, rams and attach points are in fine shape. I guess the dirt roads out here on the cape are just in horrible shape and I can't avoid the rocking the plow and the truck too. Luckily the dirt roads are only a small part of the route. I'll live with it until they pave.

8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

You replaced the pins, but what about what the pins go into. You know the frame parts. All of the plows I have owned all get loose as the pivot areas wear in the frames, the pins dont really wear as much as the softer frame. I think a used plow with some give side to side plows better than a brandnew one with no wiggle in it.