1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rock Salt...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by hpgtowing, Mar 4, 2009.

1. hpgtowing

hpgtowing Junior Member

Well Rock Salt prices have been soaring and It is hard to come by in some areas.. This salt pile was 3 times it current size just a few weeks ago... So it has been moving like a wild fire... I still have access to all I want if needed.. Thanks be safe.. Steve

[​IMG],

[​IMG],

[​IMG],

[​IMG]

2. leon

leon Senior Member

rock salt

Just curios,

Is that the mortom salt pier at Perth Amboy NJ? I ask as you apparently have solar salt in your dump box?

what are the machines in the backround with the towers and cables- salt harvesters ?

leon

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Those towers and cables appear as though it may be the upper rigging on a ship. Not sure, but I'm assuming this salt stockpile is at a dock.

Love to see those old trucks still at work too!!

4. hpgtowing

hpgtowing Junior Member

Hey Leon.. No it's not Morton... Port Newark,NJ.. Calcuta Street, International Salt Company.. And yeah.... Your very correct about the Ships and Docks... Be safe... Steve

5. leon

leon Senior Member

salt

Ah yes, the import dock for international salt lots of solar salt coming in there- the brown color of the salt indicates that it was muddied by rain after it was pumped into the concentrating ponds and left to be harvested that way.

Are the machines in the rear of the picture at all identifiable steve? The only other thing I can think of them being are a pair of seagoing walking suction or cutter head dredges?

I think the towers are for the ship unloaders now that i think of it they are most likely clam shell grabs suspended between the masts.

leon

:waving::drinkup::confused:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  6. hpgtowing

hpgtowing Junior Member

Your most likely correct Leon... This area is all containers.... they load and unload them 24 / 7 off the ships... This salt is what almost every City & Township here in Northern New Jersey uses.. The Turnpike Authority buys here also.. I buy and sell salt from here also... Thanks be safe.. Steve

7. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Unbelievable! That is a lot of salt! It's almost sad to think that all of that gets washed away into the environment every year..

8. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

^^^ i was gonna say. How much gets lost from rain and such just in that location? Those are some messy looking loaders too lol.

That's a nice Mack, how old?

9. hpgtowing

hpgtowing Junior Member

The Mack is a 1965.. Thanks