1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rock-salt question?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

Is there a difference in just plain old rock-salt? I just bought a ton from home depot because i was there and had my trailer with me. it was $2.97 a bag 50# i read some where that mortons wanst that good, thats why i thought of this question. and no its not mortons i bought some brand with the name scott in it

2. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Your grammer and/or typo's make some of your post a mystery but I'll contribute as best I can. Please read your post before submitting.

I know of no difference between rock salts. There is rock salt with other components (Magic Salt for example) that make a better product. Of course there are other salt melting chemicals besides calcium chloride (rock salt). A retail outlet is the most expensive place to buy deicing materials, next time check the wholesale locations...it is worth a phone call and an extra trip.

3. DadnSon

DadnSon Junior Member

Plain old rock salt is exactly what it is....plain. It is straight Sodium Chloride with no blends.

If your ever in the Redford area and need to restock up on bagged rock salt then, send me an email and I'll give you the company name.
    I just bought 2 pallets of 80# bags (30 a pallet) for $3.80 each ($114.00 a pallet).

If you prefer 50# bags then, the cost is $2.70 ea. w/ 49 a pallet.
    I found this company to be the least expensive after calling about a dozen suppliers.

They also are the cheapest for a brand called Tiger Melt which has Sodium/ Potassium Chloride for walks.
    56 on a pallet for $260.40 ($4.65 ea)

Good luck!

4. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

sodium chloride

rock salt is sodium chloride(naCl) not calcium chloridel

5. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

And to add to the above comments, Water softener salt, Halite, Mortons, Scotts and the no-name brand are all the same stuff. Once during a salt shortage I bought water softener pellets, on sale for less than $2 per 50 lb bag. Other than the fact that the pellets were larger than normal "rock" salt, it worked fine.

Remers, you're paying about $140 per ton at those prices. Around here, bulk rock salt is $50 per ton. Of course then you must have a place to store it........

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

One other thing to remember about the difference between water softener salt and de-icing salt is that water softener salt is clean so it can be injested. Road salt is very dirty. At the Morton plant here in Chicago, they keep the road salt outside, usually in barges in the river. They keep the softener salt in enclosed bins.

7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

You guy's get some good prices. I pay about $4.10 per 50lb bag from Jersey Chemical in Paterson for Mortons by the pallet or about $5 per 50lb bag of rock salt at Loews/Home Depot. Any body know any cheaper places in Bergen/Hudson Counties in New Jersey?

8. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Since this is an old post and it's the only one i saw i wanted to get current opinions on Mortons water softener. It's just over $3. at Walmart for a 50# bag. Is it worth it? Where would be a good place to use it? Gravel drive ways?

9. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

rock salt also has rocks in it to help aid in traction and friction to help it work better

10. can water softener salt be used in a tailgate spreader? or is it to large?